Fresh homemade salsa might be my favorite keto condiment. It’s so easy-to-make and can save virtually any keto meal from falling flat, whether it features fish, chicken, carnitas, beef, or salad.
The combination of fresh garlic, red tomato, onion, jalapeños, and cilantro is the perfect flavor boost, and it is 100% keto-friendly. Try it out for yourself – all it takes is these five ingredients and five minutes.
Is Salsa Keto?
Fresh tomato-based salsa is typically keto-friendly.
I say “typically” because some recipes, products, and restaurant-made salsas come with added sugar or fruit, which will significantly increase its carb content. This is why it is best to double-check the ingredients of whatever salsa you are making or eating.
With this keto salsa recipe, you’ll learn how to make it yourself without the sugar or fruit. All you’ll need is fresh, flavorful keto-friendly ingredients.
How to Make Keto-friendly Salsa (in 2 Steps)
Once you have your ingredients, you’re just two steps away for keto salsa:
- Chop and mince — Chop the tomatoes and onions into large chunks, and mince the garlic for optimal flavor.
- Pulse everything together — Put the salsa ingredients into your food processor and pulse until the desired consistency is reached.
To adjust the flavor, stop after every few pulses to taste and season the salsa with salt (and/or other desired spices/herbs).
What Other Ingredients Can I Add To My Keto Salsa?
You can easily customize your homemade salsa as well. Feel free to add or swap out some spices or herbs to switch up the flavor.
Oregano, chipotle peppers, shallots, cumin, red onion, lime juice, and serrano chiles are some examples of great keto-friendly salsa ingredients you can use to add another dimension of flavor.
You can also rework the recipe to make simple keto salsa verde (by replacing the red tomatoes with tomatillos) or chipotle salsa (from our huevos rancheros recipe)
How Long will Homemade Keto Salsa Last in the Fridge?
As long as it is stored in an airtight Mason jar, your keto salsa will last for about a week.
To make it last even longer, make sure you use the freshest possible ingredients and add in some lime juice.
You will know the salsa has gone bad when it has a strange smell, visible mold, or a significant darkening in color.
Can You Freeze Keto Salsa?
You can freeze this keto salsa, but I recommend cooking it first. This will help bring out some excess water and preserve the flavors a bit better.
To prep your homemade salsa for freezing, simmer on the stove for 10-45 minutes to reduce it down.
Then, let it cool and freeze in airtight containers or plastic freezer bags. After thawing, drain off any excess liquid and mix thoroughly before serving.
For best quality, eat your freezer-friendly keto salsa within two months.
Keto-friendly Foods to Serve With Your Homemade Salsa
This keto salsa can be used as a keto dip, condiment, or sauce for a wide range of keto meals. For some keto-friendly inspiration, here are a few of our favorite ways to have salsa on keto:
- Keto chips and salsa – Use the homemade salsa as a dip with low carb tortilla chips, keto cheese crisps, or low carb crackers.
- Keto taco topping — Whip up this quick salsa on taco night. For some keto-friendly taco ideas, check out our keto breakfast tacos, carne asada tacos, or fish tacos.
- Keto Carnitas topping — Slow-cooked pork keto tacos with salsa? Yes, please.
- Taco salad — Put some on your low carb taco salad for extra flavor.
- Keto salsa chicken — Add the homemade salsa to our king ranch chicken recipe or use it to elevate your keto chicken dish.
- Fish with salsa – Bake salmon or whitefish with keto salsa on top for a simple, delicious keto fish dish.
Yields 16 servings of Keto Salsa
- 4 medium vine tomatoes, halved, ~9 ounce
- 3/4 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds and stem removed
- 3 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Gather and prep all ingredients.
2. Add ingredients to a food processor.
3. Pulse until desired consistency is reached.
4. Serve with your favorite snacks or as a condiment in a main dish!
This makes a total of 16 servings (~2 tbsp. per serving) of Keto Salsa. Each serving comes out to be 6.4 calories, 0.1g fat, 1.1g net carbs, and 0.3g protein.
|4 medium vine tomatoes||46||0.5||9.9||3.1||6.8||2.2|
|3/4 medium onion||31||0.1||7.2||1||6.2||1|
|1 cup fresh cilantro||3.7||0.1||0.6||0.5||0.1||0.3|
|1 medium jalapeno||4.1||0.1||0.9||0.4||0.5||0.1|
|3 teaspoon garlic||13||0||2.8||0.2||2.6||0.5|
|1 tablespoon lime juice||3.8||0||1.3||0.1||1.2||0.1|
|salt and pepper||0.7||0||0.2||0.1||0.1||0|
|Per Serving (/16)||6.4||0.1||1.4||0.3||1.1||0.3|