Tacos are a great meal that gives a bit more hands-on attitude with what you’re eating. On a ketogenic diet, we’re used to seeing some different tortillas (some made from psyllium husk and some made from flaxseed meal). But, the real crunch of the shell never really comes through, unless you fry it. Instead of making the shells out of psyllium or flax, though, you can easily make them out of cheese.
If you’ve ever tried the cheese chips recipe, you know that cheese gets really crunchy and stays solid when you cook it through enough – and it tastes awesome! The best thing is that once the cheese cools, it’s a perfect vessel for holding whatever you’d like to put in it. If you used to have a taco night you want to bring back, it would be perfect for that.
Instead, we’re going to change it up a bit today and make some breakfast tacos. That’s right – bacon, eggs, avocado, and more cheese bundled up in an easy to eat portable crunchy taco shell. The flavors are great, as I’m sure you know. If you’re even a little bit of a fan of bacon, eggs, and avocado, then this will be a perfect treat for you!
These are perfect as a grab-and-go type of breakfast. I like to make them in batches of 6 and then place them in tupperware containers in the fridge. Each day, I can easily grab one and walk out the door.
Yields 3 servings of Keto Breakfast Tacos
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 strips bacon
- ½ small avocado
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Start off by cooking the bacon. Line a baking sheet with foil and bake 3 strips in an oven for about 15-20 minutes at 375F.
2. While the bacon is cooking, heat 1/3 cup of mozzarella at a time on clean pan on medium heat. This cheese will form our taco shells.
3. Wait until the cheese is browned on the edges (about 2-3 minutes). Slide a spatula under it to unstick it. This should happen easily if you’re using whole milk mozzarella as the oil from the cheese will prevent it from sticking.
4. Use a pair of tongs to lift the shell up and drape it over a wooden spoon resting on a pot. Do the same with the rest of your cheese, working in batches of 1/3 cups.
5. Next, cook your eggs in the butter, stirring occasionally until they’re done. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon a third of your scrambled eggs into each hardened taco shell.
7. Then add sliced avocado on top.
8. Follow this by adding the bacon (either chopped or whole strips).
9. Lastly, sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tops of the breakfast tacos. Add hot sauce and cilantro if you’d like and enjoy!
This makes a total of 3 Keto Breakfast Tacos. Each taco comes out to be 443.67 Calories, 35.68g Fats, 2.38g Net Carbs, and 26.41g Protein.
|Keto Breakfast Tacos||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese||336||25.03||2.45||0||2.45||24.83|
|6 large eggs||429||28.53||2.16||0||2.16||37.68|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|3 strips bacon||133||10.51||0.33||0||0.33||8.68|
|½ small avocado||114||10.48||5.88||4.6||1.28||1.33|
|1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded||115||9.44||0.88||0||0.88||6.48|