Huevos Rancheros is a favorite Sunday breakfast — was and will continue to be as it is ketofied! By using cheese and eggs as the base, we eliminate corn and flour tortillas. Admittedly, it takes a bit of patience, but once you get past the first one, the rest is easy peasy!
With the addition of chipotle chili, we achieve a wickedly spicy and smoky salsa. A little goes a long way!
The melted and melded cheese makes it easy to pick up. Runny yolks, need I say more? All pantry staples but delicious. It’s so satisfying it will keep you full and energized for the rest of the day.
Yields 4 servings of Huevos Rancheros
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- ½ medium shallot, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ cup low-carb tomato sauce, like Rao’s
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded Mexican-style cheese blend
- 4 large eggs
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- ½ medium lime, sliced into wedges
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Add the coconut oil to a skillet over medium heat, then add crushed red pepper flakes and cook until the oil is shimmering. Remove the skillet from the heat. Let sit for a few minutes to infuse flavor. Strain and discard the solids.
2. Return the skillet and drained chili oil to the stove, then warm up over medium heat. Add shallots and onion. Sautee until aromatic. Add oregano, tomato sauce, and chipotle chili. Continue to cook until the sauce is reduced. Set aside.
3. Using a paper towel, spread a thin coating of the remaining chili oil onto a non-stick pan. Spread an even layer of cheese on the pan, covering the bottom. Cook over low to medium-low heat.
4. When the cheese starts to melt and form a cohesive layer, break the eggs into the skillet then cover with a lid. Cook low and slow until the whites begin to settle.
5. Once the whites cooked and the edges of the cheese start to peel away from the side of the pan, increase the heat to medium-high so everything will cook faster. We are looking for a crisp layer of cheese.
6. The “tortilla” is done when the bottom layer is uniform and golden. Repeat this process to get more cheese and egg “tortillas.”
7. To serve, transfer each cheese and egg tortilla to a plate. Spoon some chili salsa over the top then sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with avocado slices and lime wedges.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Huevos Rancheros. Each serving comes out to be 457 Calories, 37.33g Fats, 6.88g Net Carbs, and 20.7g Protein.
|Huevos Rancheros||Calories(g)||Fat(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 tbsp. coconut oil||243||27||0||0||0||0|
|2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes||11||0.6||2||1||1.1||0.4|
|2 tsp. fresh garlic||8||0||1.9||0.1||1.8||0.4|
|0.5 medium shallot||11||0||2.5||0.5||2||0.4|
|2 tsp. dried oregano||7||0.1||1.9||1.2||0.7||0.3|
|0.5 cup low-carb tomato sauce||29||0.3||7.1||1.8||5.3||1.6|
|1 tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce||11||0.6||1.5||0.4||1.1||0.3|
|2 cups Mexican-style cheese blend||880||72||8||0||8||48|
|4 large egg||315||20.9||1.6||0||1.6||27.6|
|1 medium avocado||301||27.7||15.6||12.2||3.3||3.5|
|0.5 medium lime||10||0.1||3.5||0.9||2.6||0.2|
|0.25 cup fresh cilantro||1||0||0.2||0.1||0||0.1|