Imagine if you went to Taco Bell right now and ordered a chalupa, then came home and deep fried it. Now, imagine if that same chalupa was low-carb and keto friendly. This is what the keto tortilla chips reminded me of. An exceptional cross-breed baby between a regular tortilla chip and a bready, soft chalupa.
For the original flaxseed tortilla recipe, I used curry powder originally. It’s up to you to season with whatever you’d like. This time I chose garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. You could use red pepper flakes, paprika, or any of your own favorites when making them to adjust to your own tastes accordingly.
It really helps to have a tortilla press when you’re making the flaxseed tortillas. You end up using much less of the dough per tortilla, and they come out a lot more uniform in shape. Roll the dough into a small ball (about 1/6 of the dough). Then, just stick 2 pieces of parchment paper on either side of the tortilla dough. Then press! Close it up, press it down, and a perfect tortilla is right there – simple as that.
Another big utensil here is a deep fat fryer. It’s your choice to go between animal fat (lard) and peanut oil. These are the two cheapest and keto-friendly oils that I’ve found out there. Typically I fry with lard, and I love it. The flavor is great, the texture is always awesome, and it’s cheap enough for me to not worry so much about cleaning it out.
Yields 36 total Keto Tortilla Chips
- 6 flax seed tortillas (Recipe Here)
- 3 tbsp. Oil for deep frying, (absorbed oil)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Diced jalapeno
- Optional: Fresh salsa
- Optional: Shredded cheese
- Optional: Full-fat sour cream
1. Make the flaxseed tortilla’s using this recipe. I get 6 total tortillas when using a tortilla press.
2. Cut the tortillas into chip-sized slices. I got 6 out of each tortilla.
3. Heat the deep fryer. Once ready, lay out the pieces of tortilla in the basket. You can fry 4-6 pieces at a time.
4. Fry for about 1-2 minutes, then flip. Continue to fry for another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
5. Remove from the fryer and place on paper towels to cool. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with toppings of choice!
This makes a total of 36 Keto Tortilla Chips. Each chip is approximately 40.34 Calories, 3.03g Fats, 0.37g Net Carbs, and 0.83g Protein.
|Keto Tortilla Chips||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|6 flax seed tortillas||1106.4||70.68||62.88||49.8||13.08||29.94|
|3 tablespoons absorbed lard||346||38.4||0||0||0||0|