Pan seared chicken thighs are smeared with a hearty pesto sauce, then topped with thinly sliced tomato and bubbly mozzarella cheese. Serve these with zucchini ribbons or our eggplant based monkey breads.
Any time I’ve ever tried caprese style chicken it was made with chicken breasts, which too easily turn dry. With the chicken thighs you don’t have to worry about that, these come out tender and juicy. The toppings are really just a bonus.
When I calculated the nutrition I left in all ingredients used, but quite a bit of the olive oil is left at the bottom of the pan when you complete the baking. You could measure it and remove that number for the olive oil used, or try and use it up for a side dish. (Cook up some eggplant pasta perhaps.)
Yields 6 servings of Caprese Chicken Thighs
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 6 medium boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 5 ounces sliced tomato
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Preheat a cast iron (or other oven-safe) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
2. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper then lay them down in the skillet.
3. Let the chicken thighs brown for several minutes until they are golden, before flipping over and cooking the other side.
4. In a food processor blend the basil leaves, olive oil, and pine nuts. Season with additional salt.
5. Turn off the heat under the skillet. Spoon the pesto sauce over the chicken thighs.
6. Layer with the tomato and mozzarella.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the cheese is melted and browned.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Caprese Chicken Thighs. Each serving comes out to be 476.83 Calories, 35.38g Fats, 1.98g Net Carbs, and 36.82g Protein.
|Caprese Chicken Thighs||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|½ tablespoon butter||51||5.76||0||0||0||0.06|
|6 medium boneless, skinless, chicken thighs||1082||36.83||0||0||0||175.76|
|2 cups basil leaves||11||0.31||1.27||0.08||1.19||1.51|
|½ cup olive oil||955||108||0||0||0||0|
|¼ cup pine nuts||227||23.07||4.41||1.2||3.21||4.62|
|5 ounces sliced tomato||25||0.28||5.48||1.7||3.78||1.24|
|6 ounces mozzarella cheese||510||38.02||3.73||0||3.73||37.71|