These wonderful appetizer bites bind spinach together with cheese, eggs, and the secret ingredient – nutritional yeast! The nutritional yeast makes these spinach and cheese bites taste meaty, if not extra cheesy. This is an easy recipe that’s perfect for serving at a gathering, especially with a nice high-fat dip like the Spicy Sausage Cheese Dip or the Cheesy Cauliflower Onion Dip.
This shocked me a bit but – kids seem to like this recipe too! One said that he hates spinach, but he loved these bites. I think something about rolling it up into balls helps to hide its healthy qualities.
I used frozen spinach to keep things simple, but you can also use fresh spinach. Just cook it down and chop it up before using.
Do try and obtain nutritional yeast to make this recipe, but in a pinch, you can also substitute crushed pork rinds and add a little extra Parmesan for flavor.
Yields 6 (5-piece) servings of Spinach and Cheese Bites
- 2/3 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Make sure that all excess water is squeezed out of the spinach.
2. Combine spinach in a mixing bowl with the eggs, cheese, cilantro, nutritional yeast, and salt. Make sure it’s mixed together well.
3. Scoop out tablespoons of the batter and roll into balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet. The dough is very sticky, but if it gives you too much trouble then feel free to sprinkle in a little almond or coconut flour.
4. Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F. The bites will be firm and browned on the bottom.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Spinach and Cheese Bites. Each 5 piece serving comes out to be 134.33 Calories, 5.7g Fats, 3.37g Net Carbs, and 14.15g Protein.
|Spinach and Cheese Bites||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2/3 cup (126.73 g) frozen spinach||43||1.1||6.08||4.7||1.38||5.03|
|3 large (150 g) eggs||214||14.27||1.08||0||1.08||18.84|
|½ cup (56.5) shredded cheddar cheese||228||18.82||1.75||0||1.75||12.92|
|¼ cup chopped cilantro||1||0.02||0.15||0.1||0.05||0.09|
|1 cup (80 g) nutritional yeast||320||0||32||16||16||48|