One of the biggest things that I missed when I was on a ketogenic diet was bread, sweet sweet bread. It made life easy when I needed something quick, but it was never in my pantry because it’s practically a carb overload. This was one of my go-to recipes when it came to low carb bread, and can be modified to fit any taste. You want sweet? Add some Da Vinci Sugar Free syrup. Want savory? Add some nuts or spinach.
You can practically make any alteration to the bread to suit your needs, depending on what you are going to be using it for.
I went through tons of recipes before I came up with something that had actual consistency of bread. Something that satisfies the craving you get in the middle of the day when you start wanting lunch.
This recipe and the photos are courtesy of reddit/r/ketorecipes.
Yields 8 servings of Low Carb Flax Bread.
- 200 g ground flax seeds
- ½ cup psyllium husk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups soy protein isolate
- ¼ cup granulated Stevia
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 large egg whites
- 1 large whole egg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix psyllium husk, baking powder, protein isolate, sweetener, and salt together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the egg, egg whites, butter, and water together. If you decide to add extracts or syrups, add these here!
4. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients while mixing them.
5. Grease bread pan – I use a little bit of butter, but you can use a substitute spray.
6. Add all ingredients to the bread pan.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until set.
There we have it, a perfectly cooked loaf of bread! Versatile in many ways, you can use this as a snack, to make a sandwich, or turn it into a great desert.
Be careful when you are first preparing this, depending on how your oven acts – it can take a lot shorter or a lot longer to bake. Finding the ingredients can sometimes be difficult, so if you’re having a problem check out a health supermarket!
This makes a total of 8 servings of Low Carb Flax Bread. Each serving comes out to be 265.5 Calories, 15.68g Fats, 1.24g Net Carbs, and 24.34g Protein.
|Low Carb Flax Bread||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|200 g ground flax seeds||1000||85.72||57.14||57.14||0||42.86|
|½ cup psyllium husk powder||140||0||32||28||4||0|
|1 tablespoon baking powder||7||0||3.82||0||3.82||0|
|1 ½ cups soy protein isolate||480||0||0||0||0||120|
|¼ cup granulated Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|7 large egg whites||120||0.39||1.69||0||1.69||25.18|
|1 large whole egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|3 tablespoons butter||305||34.55||0.03||0||0.03||0.36|