Let me start off by saying how tender and juicy oxtail is. It’s a seriously good dish, but it just takes a long time to cook it. Typical methods include cooking on the stovetop and transferring to the oven, or using a pressure cooker. For me, the job immediately called for the slow cooker.
Now, this isn’t your average piece of meat. I’d describe the dish as something you fantasize about for a Sunday roast, but never comes out quite as good. This one hits the ball right out of the park – and I’m sure you’ll agree with me when you try it! Truth be told I’ve never had oxtails in my life. Living in the Bahamas I’ve been introduced to them many times before, but the thought of eating tail always grossed me out as a kid. Now that I’ve got a more open mind when it comes to food, I thought these would be an awesome little thing to try.
Oxtail has grown quite a lot in popularity, alongside offal and other innards – meaning the price has also gone up. I highly recommend checking out a Latino or Asian grocery store for these. They’re typically around half the price compared to the normal super market.
The great thing about the meat is that you’re also stewing a large amount of bone and marrow. This means that you get a very similar nutritional profile as you would bone broth when it comes to the sauce. The marrow and gelatin in the bones will start to be obvious when you take them out – and it really adds an amazing flavor the dish overall.
Yields 3 servings of Keto Slow Cooker Braised Oxtails
- 2 lbs. Oxtails (Bone-in)
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/2 tsp. Guar Gum
1. Heat up the beef broth on the stove and mix in the soy sauce, fish sauce, tomato paste, and butter. Transfer to the slow cooker once mixed together and hot, then place the oxtails inside as well.
2. Season the oxtails and broth with onion powder, minced garlic, ground ginger, dried thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. That’s it! Set it and forget it: Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
4. Once cooked, remove the oxtail from the slow cooker and set aside on paper towels to drain (if you are going to serve them dry).
5. Using an immersion blender, blend together the leftover juices in the slow cooker. Add 1/2 tsp. Guar Gum while blending to make a cohesive and thickened gravy.
6. Enjoy! Serve with Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes or your favorite fatty side dish with gravy on top.
This makes a total of 3 servings of Keto Slow Cooker Braised Oxtails. Each serving comes out to be 433 Calories, 29.7g Fats, 3.2g Net Carbs, and 28.3g Protein.
|Keto Braised Oxtails||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|2 lbs. Oxtails||662||36||0||0||0||73|
|2 cups Beef Broth||10||0||0||0||0||2|
|2 tbsp. Soy Sauce||20||0||0||0||0||4|
|1 tbsp. Fish Sauce||15||0||0||0||0||4|
|3 tbsp. Tomato Paste||38||0||8||3||5||2|
|1 tsp. Onion Powder||8||0||2||0||2||0|
|1 tsp. Minced Garlic||4||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger||2||0||0.5||0||0.5||0|
|1/3 cup Butter||533||53||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Dried Thyme||3||0||1||0||1||0|
|Salt and Pepper to Taste||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Guar Gum||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /3 )||433.3||29.7||4.2||1.0||3.2||28.3|