If you are sick of missing out on hot, cheesy, dips because you are dairy sensitive then this recipe is for you! If you are toying with the idea of doing less meat or are already a strict vegetarian, this recipe gives you the texture of crab by using the low-carb vegetable hearts of palm.
Hearts of palm is the inner core of the palm tree bud. It’s often harvested from many different types of palm trees, including coconut. This vegetable is high in fiber, potassium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, and other minerals. It can be used as a meat replacement in recipes such as crab fritters or cut and added to fresh salads.
Most hot cheese dips have a base of cream cheese and milk, mixed with more shredded cheese and limited vegetables. This dip utilizes the creamy texture of whole fat mayonnaise and egg yolks with Parmesan cheese, which is naturally lower in lactose. Fragrant chives and Italian seasoning make this dip absolutely irresistible. Pair it with raw low-carb veggies, Parmesan crisps, or low-carb almond meal crackers.
This dip is perfect hot as an appetizer or cold as lunch time leftovers. If you cut the recipe in half it can be microwaved in two small ramekins for a quick and convenient keto snack.
Yields 9 (2 tbsp) servings of Cheesy Hearts of Palm Dip
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs, separate 1 of the eggs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, for topping*
*You can also add extra Italian seasoning with the Parmesan cheese to the top of your dip before baking again to add an extra kick of flavor!
1. Heat oven to 350°F and prepare a small baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Chop the bulbs of your green onion and drain your hearts of palm. It is not necessary to cut the palm before adding it to your food processor but it can help if you have an older or less powerful model.
3. Combine Hearts of Palm, onion, seasoning, Parmesan cheese, and mayo in the food processor. Pulse until the mixture is chopped well.
4. Add one whole egg and one egg yolk to the processor. Pulse three to four times to combine.
5. Pour the dip into prepared baking dish and cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until the mixture begins to puff up slightly. Stir and top with more Parmesan cheese.
6. Broil until the topping is melted and begins to brown. Serve hot with veggies or keto crackers!
This makes a total of 9 (2 tbsp.) servings of Hearts of Palm Dip Each serving comes out to be 116.25 Calories, 9.15g Fat, 2.87g Net Carbs, and 4.92g Protein.
|Cheesy Hearts of Palm Dip||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm||74||1.6||12||6||6||6.65|
|3 stalks green onions (75 g)||24||0.14||5.5||1.9||3.6||1.37|
|¼ cup mayonnaise||374||41.17||0.31||0||0.31||0.53|
|2 tablespoons Italian seasoning||16||0.26||4.14||2.5||1.64||0.54|
|½ cup Parmesan cheese||210||13.92||6.96||0||6.96||14.21|
|1 large egg yolk||55||4.51||0.61||0||0.61||2.7|
|1 large egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|¼ cup Parmesan cheese, for topping*||105||6.96||3.48||0||3.48||7.11|