These Pesto Keto Crackers combine a buttery crisp texture with the Italian taste that everyone loves. The flavor is a delightful combination of garlic, basil, and black pepper with just a hint of cayenne to waken up the taste buds. Enjoy these crackers by themselves, float them in soup, spread them with olive tapenade, or substitute them as croutons in a salad. You can even crush them up and use them in place of cracker crumbs for a yummy Italian style breading for meat or fish. Of course, they make a perfect backdrop for cheese—we especially love them with Parmesan.
Crackers are one food I’ve missed the most since going on a low-carb diet. Cheese just isn’t the same without the crunch of a cracker. It’s easy to miss having crackers with soup or even just having them by themselves as a snack. Yet, making homemade keto crackers can seem complicated and intimidating at first glance.
This cracker recipe is made to help fill those empty places. If you’ve never made your own crackers, don’t worry, this recipe is simple and quick to make.
We used almond flour to keep the carb count down. Almond flour also gives them a subtle nutty base flavor that goes well with the herbal tones.
It’s easy to change the way these crackers look. We like to let them cool and break them into large pieces—it gives them a rustic appearance. However, you can use cookie cutters or a butter knife and turn them into all kinds of shapes.
Yields 6 servings of Pesto Keto Crackers
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 3 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, pepper, salt and baking powder and whisk until smooth.
3. Add basil, cayenne, and garlic and stir until evenly combined.
4. Next, add in the pesto and whisk until the dough forms into coarse crumbs.
5. Cut the butter into the cracker mixture with a fork or your fingers until the dough forms into a ball.
6. Transfer the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet and spread out the dough thinly until it’s about 1 ½ mm thick. Make sure the thickness is the same throughout so that the crackers bake evenly.
7. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 14-17 minutes until light golden brown in color.
8. Once the dough has finished baking, remove it from the oven.
9. Cut into crackers of the desired size.
Alternatively, you can let it cool and then break it into pieces.
This makes a total of 6 servings Pesto Keto Crackers. Each serving comes out to be 204.5 Calories, 19.32g Fats, 2.96g Net Carbs, and 5.34g Protein.
|Pesto Keto Crackers||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ¼ cups almond flour||799||70||30||15||15||30|
|¼ teaspoon ground black pepper||1||0.02||0.37||0.1||0.27||0.06|
|½ teaspoon baking powder||1||0||0.64||0||0||0|
|¼ teaspoon dried basil||1||0.01||0.17||0.1||0.07||0.08|
|Pinch of cayenne pepper||1||0.04||0.13||0.1||0.03||0.03|
|1 clove garlic, pressed||4||0.01||0.99||0.1||0.89||0.19|
|2 tablespoons basil pesto||115||11.28||2.15||0.7||1.45||1.29|
|3 tablespoons butter||305||34.55||0.03||0||0.03||0.36|