When I think of chili, I think of a deep, rich, and thick sauce clinging to firm pieces of beef. Beans scattered throughout each bite, and a nice small crunch of onions and peppers as you get through the bowl. Something that warms you up on a cold winter night, and keeps you full for the rest of the evening. Something that’s hearty and delicious!
The ground meat portion of this recipe will add a similar texture to that of what beans would. The larger chunks of meat give a great firm texture, something that you need in a chili. And of course, the vegetables give a small crunch and burst of flavor every other bite, as it should.
All of the spices come together to create deep, rich flavors – it will taste like something you were cooking for 12 hours! I have no doubt that everyone in your house will love you for making this, not to mention clean their plates while doing so. Fish sauce and soy sauce aren’t traditionally used in chili, but trust me on this one. The soy sauce brings a great saltiness that pairs well with the beef. The fish sauce deepens those rich flavors from the spices, giving it that “all day simmer” taste!
Let me know what you think when you make it! I know my family loved it 🙂
Yields 4 Servings of Chili
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 3⁄10 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: If you like a more watery chili, add 1 Cup Coffee.
1. Cut your stew meat up into small cubes, getting rid of any excess grit.
2. In a food processor, grind half of your stew meat until it resembled ground beef.
3. When finished, you should have half cubed stew meat and half ground beef.
4. Prep your vegetables by chopping them into pieces.
5. Gather all the spices together to make your sauce.
6. Combine 1 Cup Beef Broth, 1/3 Cup Tomato Paste, 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce, 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Chili Powder, 1 1/2 tsp. Cumin, 2 tsp. Red Boat Fish Sauce, 2 tsp. Minced Garlic, 2 tsp. Paprika, 1 tsp. Oregano, 1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, and 1 tsp. Worcestershire. OPTIONAL: Add 1 Cup Coffee here if you like a more watery chili.
7. Mix it together well until everything is well combined. Set aside for later.
8. In a pan, bring 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil to its smoking point.
9. Once you get to the smoking point, add your cubed ground beef.
10. As it cooks, pour the excess beef juice into the slow cooker.
11. Continue cooking the beef until it is browned. Once done, transfer it to the slow cooker.
12. In the same pan, start cooking your ground beef. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tsp. Pepper and 1/2 tsp. Salt).
13. Once it is finished, transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
14. In the same pan as all the beef cooked, add your chopped pepper and onion and let them cook. Season with 1/2 tsp. Pepper and 1/2 tsp. Salt.
15. Once the onions are translucent, add them to the slow cooker.
16. Pour your sauce over the meat and vegetables and stir everything together.
17. Set your slow cooker to high and let it simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
18. After the 2 1/2 hours of cooking on high, take the lid off of the slow cooker and let the sauce reduce for 20-30 minutes.
19. Serve! You can garnish with cheese if you’d like!
Per serving of chili, you are looking at: 398 Calories, 17.8g Fats, 5.3g Net Carbs, an 51.8g Protein.
|Not Your Caveman’s Chili||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|2 lbs. Stew Meat||1120||40||0||0||0||192|
|1 Medium Onion||16||0||4||1||3||0|
|1 Medium Green Pepper||24||0||6||2||4||1|
|1 Cup Beef Broth||25||1||0||0||0||4|
|1/3 Cup Tomato Paste||66||0||13||5||8||3|
|2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce||20||0||0||0||0||4|
|2 Tbsp. Olive Oil||240||28||0||0||0||0|
|2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. Chili Powder||33||2||6||4||2||1|
|1 1/2 tsp. Cumin||12||0||1||0||1||0|
|2 tsp. Red Boat Fish Sauce||9||0||0||0||0||2|
|2 tsp. Minced Garlic||10||0||2||0||2||0|
|2 tsp. Paprika||6||0||1||1||0||0|
|1 tsp. Oregano||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Worcestershire||5||0||1||0||1||0|