Before you say it, I know what you’re thinking: “But Craig, bananas are definitely not allowed on a ketogenic diet!” Don’t worry guys, we’re using banana flavored extract to impart some flavor into our smoothie – no real bananas needed! This one does thicken up slightly more than the others because of the addition of flax and chia seeds, but I think it gives a great hearty mouthfeel that is perfect for breakfast replacements.
I’ve been on a little bit of a smoothie binge lately, so if you’d like to check out the shakes and smoothies that were posted previous to this one, take a look below:
You have two options when putting the chia seeds in: you can either let the blender deal with them and give them a slight chop, or you can completely pre-grind the chia seeds using a spice grinder and then dump them in afterward. I don’t mind the little pieces of chia, especially if you leave the smoothie for 10-15 minutes prior to drinking. The chia soaks up some of the liquid and gets a slightly resembling consistency to bubble tea.
What kind of smoothie would you make with your favorite extracts? Let us know in the comments below!
Yields 2 Servings of Blueberry Banana Bread Smoothie
- 3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups vanilla unsweetened coconut milk (from the carton)
- 10 drop liquid Stevia
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons MCT oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons banana extract
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
1. Put 2 cups of unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (from the carton) into a blender with 7 ice cubes, 1 1/2 tsp. Banana Extract, and 10 drops liquid stevia. I’m using a Ninja Blender with Mini Ninja attachment.
2. Add in 1/4 cup blueberries.
3. Measure out 3 tbsp. Golden Flaxseed Meal and add it into the mixture.
4. Measure 1 tbsp. chia seeds and also add in it. I like to wait for a few minutes before I blend – then blend for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
5. Measure out into servings and enjoy!
This makes 2 total servings of Blueberry Banana Bread Shake. Per serving, this comes out to be 270 Calories, 23.31g Fats, 4.66g Net Carbs, and 3.13g Protein.
|Blueberry Banana Bread Smoothie||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal||105||6.75||6||4.5||1.5||4.5|
|1 tablespoon chia seeds||45||2.73||3.97||3.5||0.47||1.49|
|2 cups vanilla unsweetened coconut milk||91||9.02||3.98||1.9||2.08||0|
|10 drop liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|¼ cup blueberries||21||0.12||5.36||0.9||4.46||0.27|
|2 tablespoons MCT oil||260||28||0||0||0||0|
|1 ½ teaspoons banana extract||18||0||0.8||0||0.8||0|
|¼ teaspoon xanthan gum||0||0||0.5||0.5||0||0|