I had a huge craving for something that tasted like Fall last night, and these definitely came through. As one of the softest and most moist muffins I’ve EVER MADE on Keto, these really fit the bill. And today? Nope, not dried out – still super moist and super delicious. If you’ve ever read the back of a Lay’s chips package, you’d see their slogan “you can’t just have one”. Well, you can definitely apply that motto to these keto muffins!
These muffins have such an explosion of flavor! The first thing you taste is the cinnamon coating, giving you a delicious cinnamon and buttery taste that starts it all off. Then, as you chew, the notes of nutmeg, ginger, and allspice roll around your taste buds to keep you guessing. The texture is sublime. Absolutely the softest and most moist muffins I’ve ever made on keto. It’s like eating a freshly made old fashioned donut, dense but airy at the same time. The brown butter comes through on the end, giving you this delicious, nutty taste to finish it all off.
If you’re not a big fan of that “cooling” aftertaste you get with raw erythritol, please make sure you sub out the erythritol for xylitol when you make the Cinnamon “Sugar” Coating. This way, it’ll have much less of a “cooling” aftertaste and you can enjoy the texture and flavors of the cinnamon coating.
Yields 12 Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup erythritol, powdered
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Cinnamon “Sugar” Coating
1. Start by putting 1/3 cup butter into a small pan over medium-low heat. You want to let this melt and stir occasionally as you get the other ingredients ready.
3. Add all dry ingredients to a bowl. 1 1/2 cups almond flour, 1/2 cup erythritol (powdered), 2 tbsp. psyllium husk powder, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. allspice, 1/8 tsp. ground clove, and 1/8 tsp. ground ginger.
4. By this point, the butter has started to smell nutty. Make sure that it’s golden to golden brown in color, then set aside (or in the fridge) to cool completely.
5. Once the butter is cool, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside for a moment.
6. In a bowl, combine all wet ingredients. 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup heavy cream, the 1/3 cup browned butter, 1/4 tsp. (25 drops) liquid stevia, and 1/2 tsp. orange extract.
7. Using a hand mixer, beat together all of the wet ingredients until combined.
8. Sift 1/2 dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. You can use a colander to do this, or a proper sifter.
9. Use the hand mixer again to mix all of the dough together. Repeat this process with the other half of the dry ingredients. Preheat your oven to 350F here.
10. Measure out all the dough into some silicone cupcake molds.
11. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown around the edges.
12. Remove from the oven and set aside. Wait for about 5-10 minutes for this to cool.
13. Mix together cinnamon and erythritol (or xylitol).
14. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a saucepan, then turn the heat off. Dip each muffin into the butter (sides and bottom included) and then dip into cinnamon sugar. You have the option to only cover the top (recommended) or cover the whole thing.
15. Set aside on a cooling rack or eat warm!
This makes a total of 12 Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins. Each muffin comes out to be 211.08 Calories, 20.3g Fats, 2.29g Net Carbs, and 4.44g Protein.
|Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ½ cups almond flour||959||84||36||18||18||36|
|¾ cup erythritol, powdered||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder||60||0||16||14||2||0|
|½ cup heavy whipping cream||405||42.94||3.26||0||3.26||3.38|
|0.58 cup butter||944||106.79||0.08||0||0.08||1.12|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|1 ½ teaspoons baking powder||4||0||1.91||0||1.91||0|
|½ teaspoon orange extract||6||0||0.27||0||0.27||0|
|¼ teaspoon nutmeg||3||0.2||0.27||0.1||0.17||0.03|
|¼ teaspoon allspice||1||0.04||0.34||0.1||0.14||0.03|
|¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/8 teaspoon ground clove||1||0.03||0.17||0.1||0.07||0.02|
|1/8 teaspoon ground ginger||1||0.01||0.16||0||0.16||0.02|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon||6||0.03||2.1||1.4||0.7||0.1|