These are one of my favorite things to cook; they’re easy, pretty fast, and they save extremely well. Cook them in bulk and then you have breakfast for the entire week!
When I cooked these, I tried 2 different methods of making the bacon basket. The way listed below had the best results – with the others, the eggs leaked completely through to the sides and the bacon curled up as it was cooking – making it more of a frittata muffin with a curl of bacon in the middle.
They save extremely well. You can freeze or refrigerate them. I prefer to refrigerate them so that I can have them for breakfast again when I am in a rush. I will normally put them in the microwave for 45-60 seconds, and they come out great!
As always, let me know how you like them in the comments below, or tell us your own twist.
Yields 7 total “muffins”
- 18 slices bacon
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat your oven 375F.
2. Cut your bacon slices in half and mold them around the outsides and bottom of each well in a cupcake tray. You should use about 2 slices of bacon per well, sometimes more to fill in excess gaps.
3. Bake the bacon baskets in the oven for 15 minutes to pre-cook them. While the bacon is cooking, whisk together some eggs, cream, and your spices. Feel free to add any extra fresh herbs of your preference.
4. Put 1-2 tbsp. of cheddar cheese at the bottom of each bacon fritatta. Put about 1/4 cup of egg mixture into each bacon mold, trying your best to not let any egg leak out. Put them into the oven for an additional 12-15 minutes or until they start to brown on the top.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool. Serve or store for later!
I made 7 total muffins with this recipe, each muffin being: 467.57 Calories, 41.83g Fats, 2.23g Net Carbs, and 19.35g Protein.
|Bacon Crusted Frittata Muffins||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|18 slices bacon||2102||200.04||6.45||0||6.45||63.6|
|7 large eggs||500||33.28||2.52||0||2.52||43.96|
|1 cup cheddar cheese||457||37.64||3.49||0||3.49||25.84|
|4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream||204||21.65||1.64||0||1.64||1.7|
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper||3||0.04||0.74||0.3||0.44||0.12|
|½ teaspoon onion powder||4||0.01||0.95||0.2||0.75||0.12|
|½ teaspoon celery salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|½ teaspoon cayenne pepper||3||0.16||0.51||0.2||0.31||0.11|