My family traditionally has roast lamb for Easter, which is fine with me because I love the stuff. Normally, we don’t have lamb too often other than the few celebratory holiday’s and occasional feasts. Instead of doing an oven roast, I wanted to do it in the slow cooker to keep the stress levels down of everyone around.
The meat ended up being super tender, almost fall apart in the mouth, with some great fat from the leg to supplement the leg too. That last hour where you add the thyme and mint imparts just enough flavor to make you notice the flavors, but if there’s anyone that doesn’t like mint at all, have them give it a try. It’s very subtle and they might actually enjoy it when it’s not the forefront of the dish.
As always, you can make the maple syrup to use in this recipe and many others by seeing the Maple Syrup Recipe. Let me know what you think of this recipe – I know the pictures aren’t all that appetizing, but the meat will make up for the look – I promise you that!
Yields 6 Servings of Succulent Slow Cooked Lamb
- 2 pounds leg of lamb
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (Recipe Here)
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 6-7 leaves mint
- ¾ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put the leg of lamb in the slow cooker and cut 3 large slits along the top of the lamb. Make sure the slits are at least 1 1/2 inches deep.
2. Rub the lamb with 2 Tbsp. Whole Grain Mustard, 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Using your fingers, insert the 1/4 tsp. Garlic and 1/4 tsp. Dried Rosemary in to each slit.
4. Cook the lamb for 7 hours in the slow cooker, on LOW heat. Once the lamb is cooked down and all of the juices are surrounding it, add 4 Sprigs of Thyme and 6-7 Leaves of Mint. Cook for an additional 1 hour with the herbs in the juices.
5. Remove lamb from slow cooker and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve!
This will make 6 total servings. Each serving will be 414 Calories, 35.2g Fats, 0.3g Net Carbs, and 26.7g Protein.
|Succulent Slow Cooked Lamb||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|2 lb. Leg of Lamb||1920||154||0||0||0||160|
|1/4 Cup Olive Oil||480||56||0||0||0||0|
|2 Tbsp. Whole Grain Mustard||60||0||1||0||1||0|
|1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup||12||1||0||0||0||0|
|4 Sprigs Thyme||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|6-7 Leaves of Mint||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|3/4 tsp. Rosemary||3||0||1||0||1||0|
|3/4 tsp. Garlic||4||0||1||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /6 )||413.7||35.2||0.5||0.0||0.3||26.7|