Just a heads up and a bit of exciting news. Well, you might have noticed that the website has been re-designed! Over the last month, I’ve been quite inactive and I’ve been here, but in the background. I’ve been working diligently and tediously to bring out the new design of the site, logo, and overall feel of everything. I hope you guys enjoy how the new look feels, navigates, and well…looks 🙂
I’ve got some other exciting news, too! Through the huge amount of responses I’ve had on the website, I decided that I needed to put together something that’s aimed for people that are just starting out. From information, to cooking, to planning out all the macros and meals. Well, I’ve done and and then gone a step ahead. I’m going to be launching the Keto Academy tomorrow. It’s a “starter kit” of sorts, that walks you through your first month of keto, day by day, with supplemental information and guides that will help out anyone that’s looking to start a healthier lifestyle. I hope you guys all enjoy it!
I wanted to let the simple yet delicious flavors speak for themselves in this recipe – and they do exactly that. We add cumin to bring out a bit of earthiness to the dish, which compliments perfectly with the sweetness of the tomato, onion, and poblano pepper. Then we add chili powder to just bring up the heat factor a notch. Since we de-seed the poblanos, we are missing that underlying heat that rolls over your tongue as you’re eating. The chili powder adds that and then some – the perfect end to each bite.
Yields 4 Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- ½ Small onion
- 1 medium vine tomato
- 7 medium baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ cup packed cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Get all of the vegetables ready. 1 small onion, 1 vine tomato, 1 clove garlic, a handful of cilantro and about 7 baby bell mushrooms.
2. Clean the mushrooms, then slice them. Slice the onions, dice the tomato, and mince the garlic. Roughly chop the cilantro and set aside(alternatively, you can do this before you put it into the pan).
3. Put your oven on broil setting and broil the poblano peppers on a cookie sheet. You’ll want to broil them for about 8-10 minutes. Every 1-2 minutes, move them around and flip them to get consistent char marks on each side.
4. Once finished, you should have charred poblanos.
5. Using a paper towel to your fingers, peel the outer skin off of the peppers and set aside.
6. In a pan, start to saute 1 lb. ground pork and 1 tbsp. bacon fat over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Once the pork is starting to brown, add 1 tsp. cumin and 1 tsp. chili powder. Move the pork to one half of the pan, then add the onions and garlic to soften.
8. Once the onions and garlic have softened, add the mushrooms and mix everything together. Season with salt and pepper again, to taste.
9. As the mushrooms begin to soak up the excess grease in the pan, add the diced tomato and chopped cilantro to the pan.
10. Make a long slice in the poblano pepper from the stem to the bottom. You should be able to use your fingers to open it up and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds inside. The seeds will add a decent punch, so if you’re not a huge fan of heat, make sure you get them all out.
11. Spoon the pork mixture evenly into all of the peppers.
12. Bake the peppers for about 8 minutes at 350F. Your oven should still be hot from broiling, so it should only take a minute for it to get to this temperature.
13. Remove from the oven and serve! Optionally, add cheese for more fats. They get cold relatively quickly, so make sure you serve them up quick – enjoy!
This makes 4 total stuffed poblano peppers. Each stuffed pepper comes out to be 367 Calories, 27.3g Fats, 5g Net Carbs, and 21.3g Protein.
|Stuffed Poblano Peppers||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 lb. Ground Pork||1191||96||0||0||0||76|
|1 tbsp. Bacon Fat||116||13||0||0||0||0|
|4 Poblano Peppers||52||0||12||4||8||2|
|1/2 Small Onion||15||0||4||0||4||0|
|1 Vine Tomato||25||0||5||2||3||1|
|7 Baby Bella Mushrooms||40||0||6||2||4||6|
|1/4 cup Cilantro, packed||8||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Cumin||8||0||1||0||1||0|
|1 tsp. Chili Powder||8||0||1||1||0||0|
|Salt + Pepper||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|Totals per Pepper ( /4 )||366.5||27.3||7.3||2.3||5.0||21.3|