This is a simplified and shortcut version of my favorite Sichuan dish called Yu Xiang wherein eggplant pieces are coated in cornstarch, deep fried, and doused with a spicy garlic sauce. It’s better than takeout, for sure!
Yields 4 servings of Spicy Eggplant and Minced Pork.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup beef stock, or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine *
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar substitute, such as Lakanto Golden **
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Scallions, to garnish
- Sesame Seeds, to garnish
* Substitute with Dry Sherry
** May use Allulose or granulated Erythritol in place of brown sugar substitute
1. Soak eggplant pieces in salted water. Cover and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Wash and drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a wok, heat olive oil until hot. Add crushed red pepper flakes. Stir then remove from heat and let sit to steep. Strain.
3. Using all but 2 tablespoons of reserved oil, pour over eggplant pieces to coat. Dredge slightly damp eggplant pieces in crushed pork rinds.
4. To make the sauce mixture, combine stock, tamari, shaoxing wine, sweetener, and salt. Mix well. Set aside.
5. Dry fry eggplant pieces. Remove and set aside.
6. Add reserved 2 tablespoons of reserved oil to wok. Saute garlic until aromatic.
7. Add ground pork and cook until no longer pink.
8. Return eggplant pieces and pour in sauce mixture.
9. Continue to cook until the eggplant is soft and the sauce is reduced. Stir in xanthan gum, as necessary, to thicken the sauce. Garnish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
This makes 8 servings of Spicy Eggplant and Minced Pork. Each serving comes out to be 485 Calories, 39.27g Fats, 5.31g Net Carbs, and 23.66g Protein.
|Spicy Eggplant and Minced Pork||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 (458 g) eggplant||114||0.82||26.93||13.7||13.23||4.49|
|1/4 cup crushed pork rinds||80||5||0||0||0||8|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil||477||54||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon crushed pepper flakes||18||1||3||1.5||1.5||1|
|1/4 cup beef stock||8||0.05||0.72||0||0.72||1.18|
|1 1/2 tablespoons tamari||16||0.03||1.5||0||1.5||2.84|
|1 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine||18||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tablespoon lakanto golden||0||0||6||4.5||1.5||0|
|3 cloves garlic||13||0.04||2.98||0.2||2.78||0.57|
|1 pound ground pork||1193||96.12||0||0||0||76.57|
|1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum||3||0||0.78||0.78||0||0|