Growing up in England taught me a valuable lesson in life: if you can eat it, you can make a pie out of it. Every bakery that you step foot in will have meat stuffed pies, sweet pies, cheese and onion pies, pretty much any kind of ingredient you can think of – stuffed in a pie. So I took a little note from my heritage and made a classic pork pie.
These flavors usually come together pretty commonly in irish cooking, especially with pork (though we’re missing the stout), and will give you an awesomely delicious dinner! Sprinkle a little parsley over the top and call it a night! These pies will surely not dissapoint your family, and if you make the pie shells in advanced, it’s very quick to come together.
So, what’s your favorite savory pie filling? Let us know in the comments below!
Yields 4 Low Carb Pork Pies
- 1 pound ground pork
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- Zest ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 whole tart shells (Recipe Here)
1. In a pan over high heat, add 1 lb. ground pork, 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg, ginger, and cardamom. Let this cook slightly and add salt and pepper to taste. Note: you don’t want the pork to be cooked fully, just about half way.
2. Remove pan from the heat and add 2 large beaten eggs, and the zest of 1/2 lemon. Mix this together and then portion the meat mixture out into 4 tart shells (recipe here).
3. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until pork is cooked through.
4. Let cool for about 5-7 minutes.
This makes 4 total Pork Pies. Each pie has 559 Calories, 43.1g Fats, 5g Net Carbs, and 30.4g Protein.
|Low Carb Pork Pie||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 lb. Ground Pork||1189||96||0||0||0||76|
|4 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese||83||5||1||0||1||8|
|2 large Eggs, beaten||140||12||1||0||1||12|
|1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg||6||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Ginger||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Cardamom||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|Zest of 1/2 Lemon||3||0||1||1||0||0|
|Salt and Pepper to Taste||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|4 Keto Pie Crusts||806.4||59.2||48||31.2||16.8||25.6|
|Per Pie ( /4 )||558.9||43.1||13.0||8.1||5.0||30.4|