This is a fantastic family style skillet meal that you can put together any time. With all the spice from the sausage, you don’t need to get very many of seasonings out to flavor this dish. The cabbage adds a lot of crunch and the dish gets a light creaminess from Colby Jack cheese, which we will melt by steaming it with the lid on for a few minutes.
If you don’t love spicy foods like I do, you can substitute a mild sausage instead. What you do want to be sure of is to find a sausage that is free from added fillers, preservatives or sugar.
Removing the casings from the sausages makes chewing easier, but if you don’t mind the casings it’s fine to leave them on. Simply slice the sausages instead of rough chopping them if you do.
One of the best aspects of this meal-in-one dish is that it can be served right from the skillet. It has huge eye appeal, loads of flavor, and I know you’re going to love it!
Yields 4 servings of Spicy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet Melt
- 4 links spicy Italian chicken sausages
- 1 ½ cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 ½ cups purple cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 slices Colby Jack cheese, (1 ounce each)
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, fresh and chopped
1. Remove casings from sausages and rough chop. Chop onion and shred cabbage if not using pre-shredded cabbage.
2. Melt coconut oil in a large skillet and add onion and cabbage. Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables begin to become tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Add sausage, stirring to mix it into the cabbage and onions. Cook 8 minutes more.
4. Add the cheese on top and cover the skillet.
5. Turn off the heat and wait 5 minutes while the cheese melts into the cabbage and vegetables.
6. Remove the lid from the skillet and stir. Top with cilantro and serve immediately right from the skillet.
This makes a total of 4 servings Spicy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet Melt. Each serving comes out to be 231 Calories, 14.62g Fats, 3.52g Net Carbs, and 18.26g Protein.
|Spicy Sausage & Cabbage Skillet Melt||Calories||Fat(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|4 Italian chicken sausages||360||12||0||0||0||56|
|1 cup green cabbage, shredded||21||0.11||4.97||2||2.97||1.28|
|1 cup purple cabbage, shredded||28||0.14||6.56||1.9||4.66||1.27|
|½ cup diced onion||30||0||6.5||1.5||5||1|
|2 tablespoon coconut oil||260||28||0||0||0||0|
|2 slices (1 ounce each) Colby Jack cheese||223||18.21||1.46||0||1.46||13.47|
|2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per serving (/4)||231||14.62||4.87||1.35||3.52||18.26|