So I’ve had these chicken thighs sitting around for a while, and I couldn’t decide what to do with them. I didn’t want to only grill them, so I decided to get the crock pot out and make some sort of stew.
The end results were surprisingly good! Although it might look like a stringy mess, it tastes absolutely delicious. The peppers cooked down so they are virtually nonexistent, but the mushrooms give a nice texture change. I’ve found that it ends up tasting even better after it’s been sitting in the fridge overnight – and now I have enough leftovers for the rest of the week.
If you’re looking to up the fat content (as this is a bit low), you can add some olive oil for richness – or serve it with cheese on top. I normally use this with my breakfast of scrambled eggs, spinach, and cheese. Mix it all together and I have a quick and tasty breakfast.
Let me know what you do with yours!
Yields 8 (1-cup) servings of Hearty Crock Pot Chicken Stew
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium green pepper
- 3 cups mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup sliced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup hot wing sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons ranch seasoning
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
1. Chop up your mushrooms and peppers into thin slices.
2. Get your crock pot out and turn it to high heat.
3. Add your chicken thighs, tomato sauce, sliced tomato, garlic, spices, and hot sauce to the crock pot.
4. Add your peppers and mushrooms to the chicken mixture.
5. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
6. Let this simmer on high for 2 hours.
7. Turn crock pot to low, and give a slow stir to the ingredients. Let this cook for 3-5 more hours.
8. Add 3 tablespoons butter to your stew and mix together. I added ½ teaspoon xanthan gum to slightly thicken – but it should have reduced some.
9. Let cook for 1 more hour without the top, so that the sauce can reduce.
10. Serve hot, or save it in the fridge – it saves well and can be reheated in the microwave!
If I need to up the fat, I will break this up into 10 servings and usually eat it with breakfast – eggs and cheese.
This makes a total of 8 (1-cup) servings of Hearty Crock Pot Chicken Stew. Each serving comes out to be 275.88 Calories, 12.2g Fats, 3.63g Net Carbs, and 34.14g Protein.
|Hearty Crock Pot Chicken Stew||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs||1496||50.18||0||0||0||259.9|
|1 medium green pepper||33||0.28||7.61||2.8||4.81||1.41|
|3 cups mushrooms||46||0.71||6.85||2.1||4.75||6.49|
|1 ½ cups tomato sauce||240||21||12||3||9||3|
|½ cup sliced tomatoes||16||0.18||3.5||1.1||2.4||0.79|
|1/3 cup hot wing sauce||20||0||0||0||0||0|
|3 tablespoons butter||305||24.55||0.03||0||0.03||0.36|
|2 teaspoons ranch seasoning||20||0||4||0||4||0|
|2 teaspoons minced garlic||8||0.03||1.85||0.1||1.75||0.36|
|2 teaspoons paprika||13||0.59||2.48||1.6||0.88||0.65|
|1 teaspoon red pepper flakes||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|1 teaspoon oregano||5||0.08||1.24||0.8||0.44||0.16|