I used to make a ton of curry before venturing onto a ketogenic diet, but I had to find a way to get rid of some of the ingredients. No flour to make a roux, no mango chutney for the fruitiness and spice, no milk…hmm, it was a tough one – but I think I got it worked out!
Though it does take some time to thicken up (thanks Xanthan Gum for speeding that up!) it’s well worth the wait. This delicious keto curry will fill your house with the smell of the aromatic spices. Cooking longer without the lid is normally what I do – I am not the biggest fan of curry soup, I prefer my curry to be hearty, and full of texture.
Now, this isn’t a traditional Indian or Thai curry, but it resembles the stuff that I got as a kid living in England. Every chip shop has curry sauce, and this is similar to that. Very rich, thick, and unmistakably unique.
I know there’s a LOT of spices in this recipe. But trust me – each one plays its part. Whether it’s bringing a sense of fruitiness, spice, savory, or adding a boost in flavor – each and every component is needed. The only few that you could get away with leaving out is cardamom and coriander. They both add floral notes, but if you don’t have them on hand, don’t worry too much about going out to buy a jar.
Yields 6 Servings of Curry
- 24 Oz. Shrimp
- 5 Cups Raw Spinach
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1/2 Head Medium Cauliflower
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Cayenne
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger (ground, dried)
- 1/2 tsp. Coriander
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
- Salt + Pepper to taste
1. Measure out 2 Tbsp. Curry Powder, 1 Tbsp. Cumin, 2 tsp. Garlic Powder, 1 tsp. Chili Powder, 1 tsp. Onion powder, 1 tsp. Cayenne, 1 tsp. Paprika, 1/2 tsp. Ginger (ground, dried), 1/2 tsp. Coriander, 1/2 tsp. Turmeric, 1/2 tsp. Pepper, 1/4 tsp. Cardamom, and 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon. Set this aside.
2. In a pan, bring 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil to hot temperature.
3. Slice 1 Medium onion into small strips while the oil is heating.
4. Add onions to pan, season as needed (with salt and pepper) and allow them to cook down until soft. You can let them get burnt slightly to add to flavor.
5. Add 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream and 1/8 tsp. Xanthan Gum to the onions and mix well.
6. Add 1/4 Cup Butter to the onion slew and mix this in well also.
7. Dump all spices in and mix until well combined. The spices should soak up most of the moisture. Let this cook for 1-2 minutes so that the spices can sweat.
8. Add 4 Cups Chicken Stock and 1 Cup Coconut Milk.
9. Let this come to a boil, then cover with a lid and turn to low. Let it simmer for 30-45 minutes.
10. Chop 1/2 Head Cauliflower into small florets.
11. Add cauliflower to curry and stir in well. Let this cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
12. Add detailed and deveined shrimp to curry and stir in well. Let this cook for an additional 10-20 minutes, uncovered.
14. Add 5 Cups Spinach to your curry and let it wilt.
15. Taste, season with salt and pepper as needed. Once spinach is wilted, mix into curry well and cook for 4-5 minutes longer.
16. Serve hot and fresh!
This makes 6 total servings, each being 331 Calories, 19.5g Fats, 5.6g Net Carbs, and 27.4g Protein.
|Shrimp & Cauliflower Curry||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|24 Oz. Shrimp||640||0||0||0||0||144|
|5 Cups Raw Spinach||35||1||5||3||2||4|
|4 Cups Chicken Stock||25||0||0||0||0||5|
|1 Medium Onion||46||0||11||2||9||1|
|1/2 Head Medium Cauliflower||73||1||14.5||6||8.5||5.5|
|1 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk||45||5||2||1||1||0|
|1/4 Cup Butter||400||44||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 Cup Heavy Cream||200||20||2||0||0||0|
|3 Tbsp. Olive Oil||360||42||0||0||0||0|
|2 Tbsp. Curry Powder||41||2||7||4||3||2|
|1 Tbsp. Coconut Flour||30||1||4||3||1||1|
|1 Tbsp. Cumin||24||1||3||1||2||1|
|2 tsp. Garlic Powder||19||0||4||1||3||1|
|1 tsp. Chili Powder||8||0||1||1||0||0|
|1 tsp. Onion powder||8||0||2||0||2||0|
|1 tsp. Cayenne||6||0||1||0||1||0|
|1 tsp. Paprika||6||0||1||1||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger||6||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Coriander||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Turmeric||4||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Cardamom||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Cinnamon||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum||3||0||1||1||0||0|