This crab zucchini casserole recipe is like crab dip in casserole form. While chunks of crab are the star of the dish, the creamy sauce flavored with hints of onion and the traditional Old Bay seasoning play a delightful supporting role. Zucchini noodles, or zoodles, provide the backdrop for recipe. The whole thing is topped off with a layer of melted cheese. Yup! It’s definitely keto comfort food!
This recipe uses steamed zoodles as a base for the casserole. Keto friendly pasta noodles work well for this role because they, like carb loaded pasta, pick up whatever flavor they are surrounded with. While they are in the background for flavor, cooking them correctly is the key to success with this casserole. We steam them prior to assembling the casserole. Just be careful because if they are over steamed, they can get a bit mushy in the final casserole. Yet if undercooked, they release a lot of water as they bake and it makes the sauce somewhat runny. The way to ascertain success is to be sure that the spirals are pulled open. Then all parts of the spiral are adequately steamed until they are just a little beyond crisp tender.
I use the widest noodle setting on my spiralizer to make this dish. If you don’t have a spiralizer, don’t worry, you can still make this recipe. Just slice the zucchini ribbon thin using a mandolin or the slicing section of a grater. You can also use a sharp knife and a cutting board. If the slices are thicker than spiralized zucchini, you may need to add a few minutes to the steaming time.
If you thought you couldn’t have comfort food while eating a keto diet, try this casserole. Its creamy sauce, chunks of crab, and melted cheese top will change your mind.
Yields 9 servings of Creamy Crab Zucchini Casserole
- 3 medium zucchini squash, 12-16 ounces total
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, cut in half then sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. crab meat
- 3 medium green onions, sliced thinly
- ½ cup Mexican blend cheese, finely grated
- Butter or coconut oil spray to grease pan
1. Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×9 baking dish with the butter or coconut oil. Heat water in the lower part of a steamer to a simmer.
2. Spiralize zucchini squash on the widest ribbon setting, or slice very thinly, then sprinkle lightly with salt. Place squash in steamer basket, stretching the spirals so steam can reach all of the parts. Cover and steam until zucchini is barely tender, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the steamer basket and uncover. Place the steamer basket over a bowl to allow excess moisture to drain.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat then add butter. When the butter stops foaming, add onions and cook until edges are beginning to brown and onions are tender. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add vinegar and cook while stirring and scraping up any browned bits until the vinegar evaporates almost completely. Pour in cream and add cream cheese in chunks. Cook, stirring frequently, until cheese has melted and mixture has thickened.
5. Stir in crab meat and green onions.
6. Stir in Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
7. Add zucchini into the pan and mix everything together.
8. Transfer casserole mixture over to your prepared baking dish and top with grated cheese.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese on top is melted and starts to brown.
10. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
This makes a total of 9 servings Creamy Crab Zucchini Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 162.6 Calories, 11.9g Fats, 2.8g Net Carbs, and 7.2g Protein.
|Creamy Crab Zucchini Casserole||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|3 zucchini squash (1 lb total)||68||1.6||12.2||4.4||7.8||5.2|
|1 Tbsp. butter||100||11||0||0||0||0|
|1 medium onion||40||0.1||9||2||7||1|
|1 clove garlic||4||0||1||0.1||0.9||0.2|
|1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 cup heavy cream||400||28||0||0||0||2.4|
|4 oz. cream cheese||397||39.7||4.7||0||4.7||6.9|
|2 tsp. old bay seasoning||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp pepper||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|8 oz crab meat||160||4||0||0||0||32|
|3 green onions||24||0.2||5.5||1.8||3.7||1.4|
|1/2 cup cheddar cheese||268||22.3||0.9||0||0.9||15.9|
|Per Serving (/9)||162.6||11.9||3.7||0.9||2.8||7.2|