An easy and delicious meal to cook year-round is the classic twice baked potato…but what can you do since there are too many carbs in potatoes? Well, you can use zucchini! However, this delicious zucchini boats recipe has a delicious little twist on twice-baked potatoes.
These shells are stuffed with sausage. The best thing is that you can use any meat that you want, as long as it’s ground. Beef, chicken, lamb, whatever you want!
This recipe is definitely one for the books! Trust me, the kids will love it.
Yields 4 servings of Sausage Zucchini Boats
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut your zucchini in half, length wise.
2. Using a spoon or melon-baller, scoop out the zucchini so it becomes a shell for the fillings. Chop up the zucchini that you scooped out of the skins.
3. In a pan saute your onions, garlic, and scooped zucchinion medium heat.
4. Mix in your spices.
5. Turn the heat up to medium-high then add in the sausage.
6. Once the sausage has cooked, mix in your cheese, cooking until it melts. Divide the cooked zucchini and sausage mixture equally among the zucchini shells.
7. Top with some more cheese and place into a casserole dish.
8. Pour a ½ cup of chicken broth into the bottom of the dish.
9. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Sausage Zucchini Boats. Each serving comes out to be 536 Calories, 45.35g Fats, 5.82g Net Carbs, and 24.38g Protein.
|Sausage Zucchini Boats||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 medium (392 g) zucchini||67||1.25||12.19||3.9||8.29||4.74|
|1 pound ground sausage||1564||141.61||2.94||0||2.94||64.41|
|1 cup (113 g) shredded cheddar cheese||457||37.64||3.49||0||3.49||25.84|
|½ medium onion||22||0.06||5.14||0.9||4.24||0.61|
|1 tablespoon minced garlic||13||0.04||2.78||0.2||2.58||0.53|
|1 teaspoon paprika||6||0.3||1.24||0.8||0.44||0.33|
|½ teaspoon red pepper flakes||3||0.16||0.51||0.2||0.31||0.11|
|1 teaspoon dried oregano||5||0.08||1.24||0.8||0.44||0.16|
|½ cup chicken broth||7||0.26||0.55||0||0.55||0.8|