Soup season is here! Not that it isn’t completely appropriate to curl up with a hot bowl of soup anytime (hello, air conditioning!) but it is so much more gratifying when you’ve been frolicking in the cool temps and need something warm, filling, and cheesy!
This soup has deep and smoky flavors that taste complex but are achieved with just a handful of simple ingredients. It begins with a base of pureed cauliflower and vegetable or chicken stock. The flavors build from there with sweet sautéed onion and spicy roasted Poblano peppers. The heat is nicely balanced with the addition of creamy and acidic sour cream to both thicken the base and cool off the peppers, and then everything is melted together with sharp cheddar cheese for a filling soup that will warm you in any season.
For my taste, I used slightly less than two peppers because I can’t handle the heat but if you love spicy use both. The nutrition breakdown allows for two whole roasted Poblanos so adjust to your liking!
Make this soup as a side with keto croutons or eat it like I do by pouring the piping hot soup over a small bowl of baby spinach leaves. It’s a great way to get extra fiber, iron, and Vitamin C!
Yields 4 (1.12-cup) servings of Roasted Poblano and Cheddar Soup
- 2 medium poblano peppers
- ½ medium cauliflower, broken into pieces
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Set the broiler to high and arrange the poblano peppers on a baking sheet.
2. Roast, turning occasionally for even cooking, until the skins are dark and the peppers are tender.
3. Place peppers in a container with a lid and seal to cool. Set aside while you prepare the soup base.
4. Steam cauliflower florets on the stove top or in a silicone steamer case until very tender. Approximately 5 minutes in the microwave or 7-10 on the stove top.
5. Using a high speed blender or food processor, puree steamed cauliflower and 1 cup stock. Drizzle in the remaining stock and continue to puree until the mixture is a smooth consistency.
6. Heat butter and onion over medium heat in a soup pot until the onion is translucent.
7. Add half the cauliflower puree, sour cream, and cheese to the pot and stir until thickened. Reduce to low heat.
8. Remove the skin and seeds from the cooled poblano peppers and dice, reserving about 1 tablespoon to garnish the finished soup.
9. Pour the remaining cauliflower puree and diced peppers into the soup pot. Return heat to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes.
10. Stir in the garlic powder, smoked paprika and cumin and remove from heat. Serve hot and top with reserved peppers and optional shredded cheese.
This makes a total of 4 (1.12-cup) servings of Roasted Poblano and Cheddar Soup. Each serving comes out to be 241.5 Calories, 16.88 g Fat, 10.41 g Net Carbs, and 10.66 g Protein.
|Roasted Poblano and Cheddar Soup||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 medium (34 g) poblano peppers||96||2.8||18||7.4||10.6||4|
|½ medium (284 g) cauliflower||74||0.82||14.61||5.9||8.71||5.64|
|2.5 cups vegetable stock||33||0.39||5.61||0||5.61||1.26|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.52||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|¼ cup (40 g) diced onion||16||0.04||3.74||0.7||3.04||0.44|
|¼ cup sour cream||114||11.13||2.66||0||2.66||1.4|
|1 cup + 2 tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese||485||39.97||3.71||0||3.71||27.45|
|1 tablespoon garlic powder||32||0.07||7.05||0.9||6.15||1.61|
|1 teaspoon cumin||8||0.47||0.93||0.2||0.73||0.37|
|1 teaspoon smoked paprika||6||0.3||1.24||0.8||0.44||0.33|