This beer cheese soup has all the elements of a great meal: heavy cream, crumbly bacon, melted cheese, and low-carb beer. Make sure you check out our article on keto friendly beers.
We use a bit of xanthan gum and cheese as a thickener to help the soup be just as creamy as higher carb versions of this recipe. You can find this in the gluten-free section of your grocery store. If for some reason you can’t find it locally, then try ordering it online. We use it a lot for thickening sauces and baking keto recipes.
Yields 6 servings of Low Carb Beer Cheese Soup
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (12-oz) low carb beer
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 12 ounces shredded cheddar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Add the butter, then once it’s hot add the bell pepper and onion. Sauté until the onion and pepper have softened. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
2. Pour in the chicken stock, beer, and heavy cream. Sprinkle in the celery salt, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Stir occasionally while the soup heats up to a simmer.
3. Once the soup is simmering, add the xanthan gum. Prevent clumping by adding some of the hot soup to a small bowl, then whisk the xanthan gum in and add the slurry to the soup. Continue to stir and simmer the soup so that it thickens.
4. Slowly add the cheese, handfuls at a time. Let the cheese dissolve before adding more. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Low Carb Beer Cheese Soup. Each serving comes out to be 382.82 Calories, 30.3g Fats, 6.87g Net Carbs, and 17.39g Protein.
|Low Carb Beer Cheese Soup||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 (12-oz) low carb beer||95||0||2.6||0||2.6||0.6|
|2 teaspoons xanthan gum||20||0||4.9||0.1||4.8||0|
|½ cup heavy whipping cream||408||43.3||3.41||0||3.41||3.41|
|6 slices cooked bacon||180||12||0||0||0||18|
|12 ounces shredded cheddar||1374||113||11||0||11||78|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||12||0||0||0||0.1|
|½ cup diced onion||53||0.2||11||1.6||9.4||1.5|
|2 cloves garlic||8.9||0||2||0.1||1.9||0.4|
|½ small red bell pepper||32||0.2||7.6||1.4||6.2||1|
|1 tablespoon Dijon mustard||9.4||0.5||0.9||0.6||0.3||0.6|
|1 teaspoon celery salt||4.1||0.3||0.4||0.1||0.3||0.2|
|1 teaspoon black pepper||5.8||0.1||1.5||0.6||0.9||0.2|
|½ teaspoon paprika||3.3||0.1||0.6||0.4||0.2||0.2|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper||1.4||0.1||0.3||0.1||0.2||0.1|
|Per Serving(6 cups)||382.82||30.3||7.7||0.83||6.87||17.39|