Mayonnaise is well known among people on a ketogenic diet, but aioli seems to sit in a corner and not get too much attention and love. Well, there’s a really easy explanation for this – they’re pretty much the same thing. Aioli is…well, mayonnaise with garlic. Easy enough, right? This term was cultivated in the French region of Provence. Normally the garlic of aioli is crushed using your hands or a mortar and pestle, so the flavors of the garlic can come out into the sauce. But, if you see someone (like me) going on about aioli this and aioli that – they’re just trying to be a bit fancy 🙂
In the picture, you can see that crackers are served with the aioli. If you’re interested, those are my Low Carb Chia Seed Crackers – super delicious to eat with this as a snack. There’s two secret weapons we use in this – roasted garlic and chipotle powder. The roasted garlic brings a delicious and subtle sweetness throughout the whole sauce, giving us a fantastic balance to the chipotle. The chipotle brings an all around smokiness to the sauce that makes us go back for more and more each and every bite.
What should you do with it? Spread it on everything! Vegetables, faux grilled sandwiches, even crackers. Make sure that you keep it in the fridge in a container so that it doesn’t spoil – it should last about 2 weeks.
Do you make any special spiced up mayonnaise or aioli sauces? Let us know in the comments below!
Yields 1 Cup (16 tablespoons) of Roasted Garlic Chipotle Aioli
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Start by bringing your eggs to room temperature. You can do this by putting both eggs into warm water for about 1-2 minutes. Once done, remove and dry off.
2. In a food processor, add 2 egg yolks, 1 tbsp. Roasted Garlic, 2 tsp. Lemon Juice, 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard, and some salt and pepper.
3. Mix this together until it’s creamy.
4. Turn your food processor on and slowly drizzle the oil into the egg yolk mixture. Take your time while doing this so that the oil can emulsify into the egg yolk. This is similar to how you make mayonnaise.
5. Once it’s all together, add 1/4 cup Sour Cream and 1/4 tsp. Chipotle Powder. Use your food processor to mix this together very well into the aioli.
6. Serve up with your favorite crackers or layered on top of your favorite food!
Makes a total of 1 cup of Roasted Garlic Chipotle Aioli. Per tablespoon, this comes out to 75 Calories, 8.05g Fats, 0.45g Net Carbs, and 0.47g Protein.
|Roasted Garlic Chipotle Aioli||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 tablespoon roasted garlic||13||0.04||2.78||0.2||2.58||0.53|
|½ cup olive oil||955||108||0||0||0||0|
|¼ cup sour cream||114||11.13||2.66||0||2.66||1.4|
|2 large egg yolks||109||9.02||1.22||0||1.22||5.39|
|2 teaspoons lemon juice||2||0.02||0.69||0||0.69||0.04|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard||5||0.5||0||0||0||0|
|¼ teaspoon Chipotle Powder||2||0.1||0.34||0.2||0.14||0.09|