The simplicity of a grilled cheese is what catches most people’s eye. Warm, melty, gooey cheese spewing out the side of the crunchy and toasted bread. It’s delicious, it beings us back to our childhood, and it’s just a comfort food that you shouldn’t have to go without. Thought you could never have that on a keto diet? Think again.
I am basing the bread off of my hamburger bun recipe, which seemed to be a hit with a lot of people. Just keep in mind that if you do this in a square bowl or dish, take into account what it’s made out of. If it’s ceramic, you will need a bit longer in the microwave because it does take longer to heat up the material. I ended up with an under-cooked bottom portion and had to keep my eye on it until it was done.
Well, I hope you all enjoy this delicious (and I seriously mean it tastes like the real thing kind of delicious) rendition of a grilled cheese. If you’ve never made this bun, it’s well worth checking out. Oh, and if you have no access to psyllium husk powder – check your pharmacy! Metamucil is made of psyllium husk, or you can sometimes find the regular unbranded type in the fiber supplement section.
Keep in mind that it is quite a few calories (mostly from the butter), so if you want to cut back on the calories, eat half and save half for tomorrow! You just won’t want to share it, so that’s out the window 😉
What is your favorite grilled sandwich? Ham and cheese, goats cheese and onion, bacon and mozzarella? Let us know in the comments below!
Yields 1 Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
Fillings & Extras
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoons butter
2. Mix this together as well as you can so that a thick dough is formed.
3. Add 2 large eggs and continue mixing together. You want a dough that is pretty thick. If your dough isn’t thick, continue mixing the dough – it will thicken up as you mix it (this can take up to 60 seconds).
4. Pour the dough into a square container or bowl. Level it off and clean off the sides that that it comes out as level as you can get it.
5. Microwave for about 90-100 seconds. You will have to check the done-ness of it to make sure it doesn’t need longer.
6. Remove from the container or bowl by flipping it upside down and lightly tapping the bottom. Cut it in half using a bread knife.
7. Measure out the cheese you can and stick it between the buns.
8. Bring 1 tbsp. butter to heat in a pan over medium heat. Once hot, add bun and allow to cook in the butter. This should be absorbed by the bread as you cook and give a delicious, crisp outside.
9. Serve up with a side salad for some delicious ooey-gooey grilled cheese!
This will make 1 Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich. For the sandwich, it comes out to 803 Calories, 69.95g Fats, 6.14g Net Carbs, and 25.84g Protein.
|Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||9.51|
|2 tablespoons almond flour||80||7||3||1.5||1.5||3|
|1 ½ tablespoons psyllium husk powder||45||0||12||10.5||1.5||0|
|½ teaspoon baking powder||1||0||0.64||0||0.64||0|
|3 tablespoons butter||305||34.55||0.03||0||0.03||0.36|
|2 ounces cheddar cheese||229||18.89||1.75||0||1.75||12.97|