I know that duck is a bit extravagant and costly for most people out there, but I found some beautiful looking duck breasts in the co-op and decided that I had to try it. I’d never tried it or cooked it before, so I figured why not?
If you’re not the type that wants to use duck, you can easily sub the duck breast out for a chicken thigh. Just remember that chicken thighs want to go into a hot pan (rather than a cold pan, since there isn’t as much fat to render), and that they take longer to cook. That said, chicken would still taste fantastic with this sauce!
Note: This is also a pretty heavy meal, so if you feel like it wouldn’t fit into your macros, you could always use a smaller duck breast, or slice it in half to save some for another meal.
Yields 1 serving of Orange and Sage Glazed Duck Breast
- 16 ounces Duck Breast
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Swerve Sweetener
- ½ teaspoon Orange Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Sage
- 1 cup Spinach
1. Score the duck skin on top of the breast.
2. Season duck breast on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. In a pan over medium-low heat, add butter and swerve. Let this cook down until the butter has slightly browned.
4. Once butter has turned a dark golden color, add sage and orange extract. Let this cook until butter is a deep amber color.
5. In the mean time, put the duck breast into a cold pan. Set the pans heat to medium-high on the stove.
6. After a few minutes, flip the duck breast and see the delicious crisp skin.
7. Add heavy cream to the orange and sage butter, then stir together well. Pour this over the duck breast in the pan and let mix with the duck fat. Cook for a few minutes longer.
8. Wilt some spinach in the pan you used to make the sauce.
9. Let the duck rest for 2-3 minutes, then slice and place on top of wilted spinach with sauce.
This makes 1 total serving of Orange and Sage Glazed Duck Breast. The whole serving comes out to be 798 Calories, 71g Fats, 0g Net Carbs, and 36g Protein.
|Orange and Sage Glazed Duck Breast||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 Duck Breast||540||44||0||0||0||36|
|2 tbsp. Butter||200||22||0||0||0||0|
|1 tbsp. Heavy Cream||50||5||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Orange Extract||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 tsp. Sage||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 cup Spinach||7||0||1||1||0||0|