A protein-packed healthy Keto option that’s great at a celebration or any night of the week, the Keto Slow Cooker Cuban Bowl brings flavor and texture together to form a meal that ticks all the boxes and leaves you feeling satisfied. With fresh cilantro, garlic, orange juice, and cumin, your immunity is boosted, and your taste buds are enlivened. This slow-cooked pork dish melts in your mouth and finishes with the delightful freshness of avocado, radish, and lime.
You can start this dish in the morning or throw it together before bed. You want to start with a good-sized boneless pork shoulder for maximum amino acids, leave it a little fatty for flavor and rub it down with your kosher salt, pepper, dried oregano, and cumin. You want it to be totally coated in these aromatic herbs, so the juices combine with the chicken broth to produce a heavenly infusion.
Traditionally served with plantain, rice, or taco shells, this low-carb version of the Cuban bowl ramps up the salad and offers lettuce, radish, and pickle for crunch. Radishes are a power vegetable with vitamins K, B6, E, A, and C. They include fiber, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, calcium, iron, and manganese, and are high in antioxidants.
Top this extraordinary flavor-packed meal with jalapenos for their metabolism-boosting, increased fat burn, and anti-inflammatory properties. Add a few slices of fresh lime for color and impress your guests or your family with this easy, slow cooker Keto treat.
Yields 6 servings of Keto Cuban Bowl
- 64 ounce boneless pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
Cuban Bowl Toppings:
- 4 ounce dill pickle, chopped
- 2 medium avocado
- 1/2 cup jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red radish, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 12 ounce butter lettuce leaves, if desired
1. Measure out and prepare all of the ingredients.
2. Place the pork into the slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth, lime juice, and orange juice on top of it.
3. Season with cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Let the pork cook in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours give or take 1 hour. You can alternatively cook it on high for around 6 hours.
4. Move the cooked pork shoulder onto a cutting board and shred the meat.
5. Place the shredded pork onto a baking pan lined with foil. Broil in the oven until crispy, about 2-4 minutes. Keep an eye on the pork, removing it when it gets crispy on the outside.
6. Ladle some of the remaining juice from the slow cooker on top of the pork and allow it to absorb into the meat. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
7. Plate the cooked and crispy shredded pork with jalapenos, radishes, avocado chunks, and cilantro. Scoop into lettuce leaves and eat as a lettuce wrap if desired. Enjoy!
This makes a total of 6 servings of Keto Cuban Bowl. Each serving comes out to be 509 calories, 19.9g fat, 4.3g net carbs, and 70.8g protein.
|1.00 teaspoon kosher salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1.00 teaspoon cumin||8||0.5||0.9||0.2||0.7||0.4|
|1.00 teaspoon dried oregano||4||0.1||1||0.6||0.4||0.1|
|0.50 teaspoon black pepper||3||0||0.7||0.3||0.4||0.1|
|64.00 ounce boneless pork shoulder||2304||61.7||0||0||0||408.2|
|1.00 cup chicken broth||15||0.5||1.1||0||1.1||1.6|
|2.00 tablespoon fresh orange juice||15||0||3.5||0.1||3.4||0.2|
|2.00 tablespoon lime juice||8||0||2.6||0.1||2.4||0.1|
|1.00 tablespoon fresh garlic||13||0||2.8||0.2||2.6||0.5|
|12.00 ounce butter lettuce leaf||44||0.7||7.5||3.7||3.7||4.8|
|4.00 ounce dill pickle||14||0.3||2.7||1.1||1.6||0.6|
|2.00 medium avocado||601||55.5||31.1||24.5||6.6||7.1|
|0.50 cup jalapeno pepper||14||0.2||3.2||1.4||1.8||0.5|
|0.50 cup red radish||9||0.1||2||0.9||1||0.4|
|1.00 tablespoon cilantro||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving (/6)||509||19.9||9.8||5.5||4.3||70.8|