Here’s a hearty stew that will fill you up while it warms your belly – perfect for this time of year! Many places are having very early frost warnings and snow this year (looking at you, Canada!). There is the just the right amount of spice in this dish with both chili powder and jalapeno, coaxing your taste buds without overwhelming them. The cinnamon works so well with the coffee and the cumin – it will have those you feed it to wondering what the special note is in the dish.
Not to mention, it’s super colorful! It’s a great match for the weather changes that are happening outside and will really brighten your day up, rain, snow, or shine 🙂
The stew is just a delicious blend of rich flavors that gets offset with the freshness of all of the vegetables. A beautiful bone broth coats everything in the stew, and you’ll get a new flavor with every single bite! The button mushrooms in this recipe work so well with the red and green bell peppers. They help make this dish have such a great deep flavor and soak up the fats and broth wonderfully.
Yields 4 Servings of Southwestern Pork Stew
- 1 pound cooked pork Shoulder, sliced (Recipe Here)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 small bay leafs
- 6 ounces button mushrooms
- ½ sliced jalapeno
- ½ medium onion
- ½ medium green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
- Juice ½ lime, to finish
- 2 cups gelatinous bone broth
- 2 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup strong coffee
- ¼ cup tomato paste
1. Prep all vegetables by slicing and chopping them.
2. Let your bone broth start to come to room temperature. This is my own bone broth that I made with the pork bones – I will post a recipe on this sometime in the future.
3. Bring a pan to high heat with 2 tbsp. Olive Oil. Once hot, add vegetables and saute them until they are slightly cooked and aromatic.
4. Measure out all spices into a small container so you can use them as needed.
5. Slice pork (I use the tougher meat for this) into bite size chunks.
6. Add bone broth, chicken broth, and coffee to slow cooker.
7. Add pork and mushrooms to the slow cooker and mix together.
8. Add spices and vegetables (with oil) to the slow cooker. Mix together well, cover, and set on low for 4-10 hours.
9. Once it’s finished, take the lid off and stir together.
10. Serve it up!
This makes a total of 4 servings. Each serving comes out to be 386 Calories, 28.9g Fats, 6.4g Net Carbs, and 19.9g Protein. Feel free to add butter or sour cream on the finish to extra fats.
|Southwestern Pork Stew||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1 lb. Cooked Pork Shoulder||920.9||73.3||0.6||0.2||0.4||60.6|
|2 tbsp. Olive Oil||240||28||0||0||0||0|
|2 tsp. Chili Powder||16||1||3||2||1||1|
|2 tsp. Cumin||16||1||2||1||1||1|
|1 tsp. Minced Garlic||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 tsp. Salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 tsp. Pepper||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tsp. Paprika||6||0||1||1||0||0|
|1 tsp. Oregano||3||0||1||0||1||0|
|1/4 tsp. Cinnamon||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 Bay Leafs||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|6 oz. Button Mushrooms||37||1||6||2||4||5|
|1/2 sliced Jalapeno||2||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 medium Onion||23||0||6||1||5||1|
|1/2 Green Bell Pepper, sliced||12||0.1||3||1||2||0.5|
|1/2 Red Bell Pepper, sliced||12||0.1||3||1||2||0.5|
|Juice 1/2 Lime (to finish)||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|2 cups Gelatinous Bone Broth||160||9||0||0||0||8|
|2 cup Chicken Broth||30||2||1||0||1||0|
|1/2 cup Strong Coffee||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 cup Tomato Paste||50||0||10||4||6||2|
|Per Serving ( /4 )||386.2||28.9||9.7||3.3||6.4||19.9|