When you begin a ketogenic diet, entertaining might be one of the worries you have. It’s not the easiest task to overcome when you have to serve people food they can enjoy and that you can also eat. A great finger food that you can make ahead of time is a stromboli. Stromboli is traditionally served rolled up like a roll cake, but in American cuisine, most pizza places will serve their stromboli folded up similarly to a calzone.
You can think of this as a very large savory danish that you can slice up and easily serve to people as an appetizer that they can pick through. Cut it up into small slices and let them take as they please. Alternatively, you can slice into 4 large pieces and serve as a meal with some roasted broccoli and butter or more traditionally Italian Style Green beans or pan fried asparagus.
Yields 4 servings of Ham & Cheese Stromboli
- 1 ¼ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 ounces ham
- 3.5 ounces cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F and in a microwave or toaster oven, melt your mozzarella cheese. About 1 minute in the microwave, and 10 second intervals afterward, or about 10 minutes in an oven, stirring occasionally.
3. When the mozzarella is melted, place that into your flour mixture and begin working it in.
4. After about a minute, when the cheese has had a chance to cool down a bit, add in your egg and combine everything together. It helps to use two utensils here.
5. When everything is combined and you’ve got a moist dough, transfer it to a flat surface with some parchment paper.
6. Lay a second sheet of parchment paper over the dough ball and use a rolling pin or your hand to flatten it out.
7. Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut diagonal lines beginning from the edges of the dough to the center, leave a row of dough untouched about 4 inches wide.
8. Alternate laying ham and cheddar on that uncut stretch of dough.
9. Then lift one section of dough at a time and lay it over the top, covering your filling.
10. Then bake it for about 15-20 minutes until you see it has turned a golden brown color.
11. Slice it up and serve!
This makes a total of 4 servings of Ham & Cheese Stromboli. Each serving comes out to be 322.5 Calories, 22.23g Fats, 4.98g Net Carbs, and 22.67g Protein.
|Ham & Cheese Stromboli||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ¼ cups mozzarella cheese||420||31.29||3.07||0||3.07||31.04|
|4 tablespoons almond flour||160||14||6||3||3||6|
|3 tablespoons coconut flour||112||3.74||15.71||9.7||6.01||4.49|
|1 large egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|1 teaspoon Italian seasoning||5||0.08||1.24||0.8||0.44||0.16|
|4 ounces ham||120||2||4||0||4||20|
|3.5 ounces cheddar cheese||401||33.05||3.07||0||3.07||22.69|