Sansrival is a Filipino classic – crispy, chewy, meringue layered with French buttercream and cashew nuts. Translates to, “without rival.” Aptly so, as this is hands down a crowd favorite.
The original recipe calls for a dacquoise, a meringue made with nuts that when cooked long and slow yields a crispy wafer. The keto version, however, will not have the same texture. Instead it’s more sponge-y. Sugar’s hygroscopic, or moisture absorbing, nature lends to the crunch that sweeteners obviously lack. Tradition calls for cashews, which is not bad, however we want as little carbs as possible hence the use of almonds.
Buttercream is essentially a frosting made from fat – aka butter and sugar. We are doing French Buttercream because of its silky texture, just downright melts in your mouth. This is achieved by heating sugar syrup until it reaches a soft ball stage (yes, you will need your candy thermometer!) then whipping it into pâte à bombe, a egg yolk and butter foam. Shiny and rich, gorgeously smooth – it is what sugar dreams are made of! Most sweeteners won’t cut it because they don’t really dissolve even when heated – we do have one option, allulose! It is not a sugar alcohol (see how it ends with -ose instead of -tol) therefore it will not be granular. Albeit some naysayers, allulose is a good sugar substitute. And, it is our best bet for keto French buttercream perfection.
Yields one 8” round cake, about 12 servings of Sansrival.
- 135 grams almond flour
- 79 grams roasted almonds, chopped
- 181 grams egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 200 grams alulose
- 161 grams allulose
- 59 grams water
- 98 grams egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 330 grams cubed butter, softened
- 208 grams syrup
To make the dacquoise:
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line sheet tray with Silpat or parchment paper.
2. Combine almond flour and chopped almonds in a bowl. Mix well until blended. Set aside.
3. Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl.
4. Using a wire attachment, on medium, mix until foamy. Increase speed then gradually add allulose. Look for medium stiff peaks. Note that because we are not using sugar, the meringue will not whip to stiff peaks.
5. Carefully fold the almond flour and chopped almonds mixture into the meringue until homogeneous.
6. Evenly distribute mixture into three-ring molds or pipe into three 8” rounds. Even the surface using an offset spatula.
7. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool and set aside. Note that this may be made ahead of time. To store, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
To make the syrup:
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water and allulose.
2. Set up a candy thermometer, if using. Set the saucepan over low heat and allow to cook to soft ball stage or 240°F.
3. Meantime, while the syrup is cooking, combine egg yolks and vanilla paste in a bowl.
4. Using a wire whisk, whip on high until light and doubled in volume, approximately 8 minutes.
5. When the syrup reaches 240°F, remove from heat. Reduce mixer speed to low. In a slow, even stream, away from the whisk, gently pour in the syrup. Continue until all the syrup has been added.
6. Transfer to another container and let cool. Note that this may be made ahead of time. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container.
To make the buttercream:
1. Place the butter in a mixing bowl. Using a paddle attachment, cream butter at low speed until soft. Occasionally scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl. Increase speed to medium and continue to whip until volume increases.
2. Turn mixer off. Add the syrup and, on low speed, continue to mix until the buttercream is light and smooth.
1. Layer dacquoise and buttercream alternately.
2. Frost the entire cake with the buttercream and garnish with chopped almonds.
This makes a total of 12 servings of Sansrival. Each serving comes out to be 347.75 Calories, 33.58g Fats, 5.12g Net Carbs, and 6.96g Protein.
|135 grams almond flour||771||67.5||28.93||14.4||14.53||28.93|
|79 grams roasted almonds||472||41.51||16.6||8.6||8||16.56|
|181 grams egg whites||94||0.31||1.32||0||1.32||19.73|
|1 teaspoon cream of tartar||8||0||1.84||0||1.84||0|
|200 grams allulose||70||0||16||0||16||0|
|161 grams allulose||56||0||13||0||13||0|
|98 grams egg yolks||316||26.01||3.52||0||3.52||15.54|
|1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste||20||0||3||0||3||0|
|330 grams cubed butter||2366||267.66||0.2||0||0.2||2.8|
|208 grams syrup||392||26.01||19.52||0||19.52||15.54|