If you have ever visited Brunei, Malaysia or Singapore, high chance you stumbled upon one of these while strolling through a night market. Roti John as it’s called, is a kind of sandwich with a meat-filled omelette inside. They are usually cooked with butter.
When bought, the sandwich is smothered heavily with mayonnaise and chili sauce or ketchup. It’s then sliced to bite-sized pieces and wrapped with brown paper. The shape is quite distinct and you would instantly know it’s Roti John amongst other wrapped food from the night market.
A night market starts around 5 pm and ends at midnight with various stalls selling all different kinds of food. A family would usually never come back home without a Roti John whenever they go to the night market.
In Brunei, it comes in three different sizes. The longest is called Papa John, the medium Mama John and the smallest Baby John. It’s very easy to be made at home and that’s what we’re going to learn how to do today! A keto-fied version of Roti John. You can also easily wrap these up in parchment and save them for a meal later in the day.
Note: Instead of beef, you could use chicken or lamb to change the flavor/macros of this if needed.
Yields 4 servings of Keto Roti John
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon water
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Ruled.me ketchup
- 5 slices cucumber
- 3 slices tomatoes
- 1 piece butter lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Follow the pizza base recipe for Low Carb Pepperoni Pizza, exclude the Italian seasoning. Divide the dough into two. Shape each dough into a long bun, making sure both will fit on a large pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes.
2. While waiting, preheat a pan on medium heat. Add in 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Once melted, saute the diced onion. Once the onion turns translucent, add in the chopped garlic. After 1 minute, add in ¼ teaspoon curry powder and 1 teaspoon water. Let the curry powder cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add in 4 tablespoons ground beef and cook until brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. It should be cooked in such a way you would eat this on its own.
4. When the buns are ready, remove the buns from the oven. Cool both buns on a cooling rack. The buns should deflate a bit.
5. Once the buns become cool enough, slice them horizontally but not completely. Spread about ½ tablespoon of unsalted butter onto both buns.
6. Toast the buttered side of the buns with a pan.
7. In a mixing bowl, crack an egg. Add in about half of the cooked ground beef, 1 tablespoon each green onion and cilantro. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Mix well.
8. Preheat a large pan on medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter. Than, add in the omelette mixture to the pan.
9. Immediately cover the omelette with a bun.
10. When the omelette is cooked (after about 2-3 minutes), flip and toast the bun side until brown.
11. Remove from the pan and spread about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and reduced sugar ketchup (or any kinds of sauce) onto the omelette side. Garnish with some sliced cucumber, tomatoes, and lettuce. Repeat steps 7-10 for the other bun.
12. Fold the buns and serve while hot!
This makes 4 total servings of Keto Roti John. Each serving comes out to be 597.15 Calories, 50.94g Fats, 7.27g Protein, and 25.8g Net Carbs.
|Keto Roti John||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 cups mozzarella cheese||672||50.06||4.91||0||4.91||49.66|
|¾ cup almond flour||480||42||18||9||9||18|
|1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder||30||0||8||7||1||0|
|3 tablespoons cream cheese||152||14.98||2.4||0||2.4||2.68|
|3 large eggs||214||14.27||1.08||0||1.08||18.84|
|½ teaspoon pepper||3||0.04||0.74||0.3||0.44||0.12|
|1 tablespoon coconut oil||121||13.47||0||0||0||0|
|½ small (35 g) onion, diced||14||0.04||3.27||0.6||2.67||0.39|
|1 clove garlic, finely chopped||4||0.01||0.99||0.1||0.89||0.19|
|¼ teaspoon curry powder||2||0.07||0.28||0.28||0||0.07|
|4 tablespoons ground beef||144||11.3||0||0||0||9.7|
|2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter||255||28.79||0.02||0||0.02||0.3|
|2 tablespoons chopped green onion||3||0.06||0.69||0.2||0.49||0.12|
|2 tablespoons chopped cilantro||0||0.01||0.07||0.07||0||0.04|
|2 tablespoons Ruled.me mayonnaise||260.2||28.38||0.46||0||0.46||1.16|
|2 tablespoons Ruled.me ketchup||18.4||0.1||4.08||0.84||3.24||1.04|
|5 slices (26 g) cucumber||4||0.03||0.94||0.1||0.84||0.17|
|3 slices (45 g) tomatoes||8||0.09||1.75||0.5||1.25||0.4|
|1 piece (24 g) butter lettuce||4||0.04||0.69||0.3||0.39||0.33|