Custard is a new favorite of mine, and I can’t believe how EASY it is to make! There are different ways to make it too. Adding whole eggs to a custard base will make it hold its form… If you just use egg yolks, it will have the consistency of pudding, which is excellent for a creme brulee.
Today, I will be making a flan, which will have a firm and robust custard that will hold its shape outside a ramekin. We will also be creating a caramel sauce with it that will become the top and most delicious part of this custard.
The only difficult portion of this recipe is baking the custard. You will have to bake it in a hot water bath, meaning the ramekins are inside a baking dish that is filled with hot water. It is essential that the water does NOT touch the custard otherwise it may not hold.
When the custard is done, you should notice that the top of the custard is firm, but the center is still wobbly. This is key. If the center does not wobble, the custard is overcooked and will have an eggy taste to it.
Yields 4 servings of Keto Flan
- ⅓ cup erythritol, for caramel
- ⅛ cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ cup erythritol, for custard
1. In a deep pan, heat up the erythritol for the caramel. Stir it frequently.
2. Add the water and butter.
3. Stir occasionally until the sauce has become a golden brown.
4. Pour into the bottom of each ramekin, covering the bottom nicely. Set aside and let them cool.
5. In a bowl, mix together the heavy whipping cream, remaining erythritol, and vanilla.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk together your whole eggs. Then add in the yolks, whisking once more.
7. Slowly stir your eggs into the cream mix.
8. Pour the custard into each ramekin, on top of the caramel.
9. Place the ramekins into a casserole dish and fill over halfway with hot water. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Take the casserole dish out of the oven but leave the ramekins in the hot water for another 10 minutes.
10. Using tongs, take out the ramekins and let them sit for at least 4 hours, or overnight, in the fridge.
11. When ready to eat, take a knife and slowly run it on the inside of the custard to release it from the ramekin.
12. Turn the ramekin upside down and slowly jiggle the custard onto the plate.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Keto Flan. Each serving comes out to be 298 Calories, 31.5g Fats, 2.4g Net Carbs, and 4.5g Protein.
|Keto Flan||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|⅓ cup erythritol, for caramel||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon butter||102||11.52||0.01||0||0.01||0.12|
|1 cup heavy whipping cream||800||96||6||0||6||0|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|2 large egg yolks||109||9.02||1.22||0||1.22||5.39|
|1 tablespoon vanilla||37||0.01||1.64||0||1.64||0.01|
|¼ cup erythritol, for custard||0||0||0||0||0||0|