This Slow-Cooker Mocha Pudding Cake is a cross between a rich chocolate soufflé and a gooey pudding. This keto cake has a moist and velvety texture and a dark chocolate flavor. Tones of coffee flavor enhance the deep chocolate notes and give this dessert a delicious mocha finish. Even though this dessert is made from scratch, it’s quick to get in the slow-cooker. Don’t like the taste of coffee? Don’t worry, this recipe is easy to adjust to your personal tastes. Scoop this cake straight out of the cooker and serve with whipped cream for a noteworthy meal finale.
While many slow-cooker recipes require pre-packaged ingredients, this pudding cake is made entirely from scratch. This way, you will know exactly what goes in it. Even though it’s made by hand, it doesn’t take a lot active time to prepare. I can get the batter in the slow-cooker in about 15 minutes.
While this recipe takes a whopping 2 tablespoons of instant coffee crystals, the mocha flavor does not overpower the chocolate. If you prefer a strong mocha flavor, you may want to use an extra teaspoon or two of coffee crystals. If you prefer to not have a mocha flavor at all, feel free to decrease the amount to 1 tablespoon. At this level, the coffee flavor will just balance the chocolate flavor, but not have a strong presence of its own. Don’t let the deliciousness of this pudding cake keep you up at night–decaffeinated coffee crystals have been tested in this recipe and work equally as well as regular crystals.
I have given a wide range for cooking time on this recipe. This is because slow cookers vary in running temperature. I tested the recipe in both a 4 quart and a 6-quart slow-cookers. My 6-quart slow-cooker runs at about 205 degrees F. when set on “low”. This is a bit higher than the typical range and I found the cake was ready in a little over 2 hours. Keep the lid of the cooker closed while cooking, but start peeking in occasionally when it reaches the lowest time in the time range. Unlike other types of slow-cooked recipes, this cake will burn if over-cooked. When in doubt, err on the side of under-cooking. It is a pudding cake, after all.
Scoop this cake straight out of the crock and serve hot with some whipped cream or low-carb ice cream. If you have left-overs, don’t worry. You could gently reheat them, but this cake is delicious cold as well. In fact, it takes on a whole different texture when served cold. It’s like a fudgy mocha brownie. Yum!
Yields 6 servings of Mocha Pudding Cake
- Butter or coconut oil spray to grease slow cooker
- ¾ cup butter, cut into large chunks
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped finely
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2/3 cup stevia/erythritol granulated sweetener
- Optional: low-carb whipped cream or low-carb ice cream for serving.
1. Grease a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker with butter or spray with coconut oil.
2. In small saucepan, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Whisk together heavy cream, coffee crystals, and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
4. Combine cocoa, almond flour, and salt in a small bowl.
5. Beat eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until slightly thickened. Gradually add granulated sweetener.
6. Beat on high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
7. Turn mixer speed to low and slowly mix in melted butter and unsweetened chocolate mixture.
8. Stir in cocoa, almond flour and salt mixture.
9. Using mixer at medium speed, slowly add in cream, coffee, and vanilla mixture.
10. Pour batter into slow cooker.
11. Place a paper towel over the opening of the slow cooker before placing lid on top. The paper towel absorbs condensation.
12. Cook on low for 2-3 hours if using a 6-quart cooker or 2.5 to 3.5 hours if using a 4-quart cooker.
13. At the end of cooking, center will have a soft soufflé consistency while edges will be more cake-like. The center of the cake will be slightly damp on top, but will resist slightly when pressed. The center of cake needs to reach at least 160º F.
14. Serve garnished with whipped cream or low-carb ice cream, if desired.
This makes a total of 6 servings Slow-Cooker Mocha Pudding Cake. Each serving comes out to be 413.5 Calories, 39.81g Fats, 3.76g Net Carbs, and 9.29g Protein.
|Mocha Pudding Cake||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|½ teaspoon coconut oil||20||2.23||0||0||0||0|
|¾ cup butter||1221||138.09||0.1||0||0.1||1.45|
|2 ounces unsweetened chocolate||372||30.34||16.48||9.6||6.88||8.31|
|½ cup heavy cream||204||21.65||1.64||0||1.64||1.7|
|2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals||21||0.03||4.52||0||4.52||0.73|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||12||0||0.53||0||0.53||0|
|4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder||49||2.96||12.51||8||4.51||4.23|
|1/3 cup (36.96 g) almond flour||224||19.8||6.6||4||2.6||7.92|
|1/8 teaspoon salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|5 large eggs||358||23.77||1.8||0||1.8||31.4|
|2/3 cup stevia/erythritol granulated sweetener||0||0||0||0||0||0|