Jalapenos and buffalo chicken are a marriage of flavors that just had to be done. It’s a flavor explosion that is oozing with rich and delicious cheese, and packed full of spiciness in every bite. Of course – you can’t forget about bacon. Everything tastes better with bacon.
I based this on a quick skillet meal that my girlfriend made me the other night. It was pretty much this, but in a pan – and I knew right then and there I had to make a casserole out of it. Both of us absolutely love buffalo sauce and try to put it on just about everything we can. Spice in general is welcome in this house – and this have a serious kick of delicious and spicy flavors. If you’re not a fan of spice, make sure you de-seed the jalapenos!
P.S. Don’t forget to serve your meal up with a delicious piece of crispy chicken skin!
A word of warning in advance: try not to add too much salt and pepper to the filling mixture until you’ve tasted it with the hot sauce. The hot sauce itself is relatively salty and will usually balance out the dish on its own.
Yields 6 servings of Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Casserole
- 2 pounds (6-small) boneless chicken thighs
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 medium jalapenos*
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ cup Frank’s Red Hot
- Salt and pepper to taste
*De-seed if you aren’t a fan of spicy.
1. De-bone all chicken thighs and pre-heat oven to 400F. Season chicken thighs well with salt and pepper, then lay on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet wrapped in foil. Bake chicken thighs for 40 minutes at 400F.
2. Once your timer hits 20 minutes, start on the filling. Chop 6 slices of bacon into pieces and put into a pan over medium heat.
3. Once bacon is mostly crisped, add jalapenos into the pan.
4. Once jalapenos are soft and cooked, add cream cheese, mayo, and frank’s red hot to the pan. Mix together and season to taste.
5. Remove chicken from the oven and let cool slightly. Once they are cool enough, remove the skins from the chicken.
6. Lay chicken into a casserole dish, then spread cream cheese mixture over it, then top with cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400F. Broil for 3-5 minutes to finish. Optional: Top with extra jalapenos before you broil.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve up!
This makes 6 servings of Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Casserole. Each serving is 782 Calories, 66.97g Fats, 4.59g Net Carbs, and 38.61g Protein.
|Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Popper Casserole||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 lb boneless chicken thighs||1786||132.19||0||0||0||150.14|
|6 slices (168 g) bacon||701||66.68||2.15||0||2.15||21.2|
|3 medium (42 g) jalapenos||12||0.16||2.73||1.2||1.53||0.38|
|12 ounces cream cheese||1191||117.16||18.78||0||18.78||20.92|
|¼ cup mayonnaise||374||41.17||0.31||0||0.31||0.53|
|4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese||458||31.77||3.5||0||3.5||25.93|
|2 ounces shredded mozzarella Cheese||170||12.67||1.24||0||1.24||12.57|
|¼ cup Frank’s Red Hot||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Salt and pepper to taste||0||0||0||0||0||0|