With another journey through food to Asia, we meet up with the Begedil. Also known as the Perkedel in Indonesia, these are traditionally made with mashed potatoes and deep-fried. Very commonly, you can find these in the night market (pasar malam) or small stalls along the street (garai).
You can eat them on their own with a dipping sauce like mayonnaise and chili paste, or you can serve them in a clear soup/stew (usually Soto, or a noodle soup) like they are traditionally served.
You can usually see these potato patties come in two different shapes – round and flat. Since we’re pan frying them, rather than deep frying them, I chose to go with the round version.
Note: If you want to bring the carb counts down even further, use turnip or use only cauliflower for the whole recipe. If you use cauliflower only, you want to make sure that it’s well mashed and very soft so that no graininess can be detected in them once fried.
Yields 10 Begedil Keto Potato Patties
- 3.5 ounces rutabaga
- 3.5 ounces cauliflower
- 2 small shallots
- 4 tablespoons ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Slice 3.5 oz. Rutabaga into small pieces and fry until brown with 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil.
2. With a pestle and mortar, pound the fried Rutabaga until soft. Alternately, use a food processor. When done, set aside.
3. Microwave 3.5 oz. Cauliflower until soft and pound with a pestle and mortar (or use a food processor).
4. Thinly slice 2 Shallots. With a small and shallow wok (to create a deeper oil but only little is used) and 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil, fry until brown and crispy but not burnt. Set Aside.
5. With the same oil, saute 4 tbsp. Ground Beef until brown. Season with Salt and Pepper to taste.
6. In a bowl, add in pounded Rutabaga and Cauliflower, fried Shallot, cooked Ground Beef, 1 tbsp. each of Celery Leaves and Green Onion, 1/2 tsp. White Pepper (or Black Pepper) and 1/4 Salt. Mix well.
7. Scoop about 1 tbsp. of the mixture and shape into a small patty. I made 10 patties in total.
8. Whisk 1 egg in another bowl and coat each patty but not completely (do each before frying).
9. Fry the patties in batches with Coconut Oil until brown. I used 2 tbsp. Coconut Oil in total for this (two batches, 1 tbsp. each).
10. Serve with a stew or on their own!
This makes a total of 10 Begedil Keto Potato Patties. Each patty comes out to be 76 Calories, 6.36g Fats, 2.2g Net Carbs, and 1.95g Protein.
|Begedil Keto Potato Patties||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|3.5 ounces rutabaga||37||0.16||8.55||2.3||6.25||1.07|
|3.5 ounces cauliflower||25||0.28||4.93||2||2.93||1.91|
|2 small shallots||61||0.09||14.28||2.7||11.58||2.12|
|4 tablespoons ground beef||73||4.33||0||0||0||7.86|
|1 tablespoon chopped celery leaves||1||0.01||0.22||0.1||0.12||0.05|
|1 tablespoon chopped green onion||2||0.01||0.44||0.2||0.24||0.11|
|½ teaspoon white pepper||4||0.03||0.82||0.3||0.52||0.12|
|1 large egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|4 tablespoons coconut oil||485||53.89||0||0||0||0|