Quiche has to be one of my all-time favorite dishes to whip up when I’m craving something Quiche has to be one of my all-time favorite dishes to whip up when I’m craving something savory and filling for breakfast. There’s something about a buttery pastry crust paired with cheesy whipped eggs that is so satisfying. This is true whether it be a lazy Sunday morning or reheated on a busy weeknight!
This past weekend I had some extra time and made a double batch of this super simple and easy asparagus quiche. I love to make one or two on the weekend and fill it with veggies from the fridge for a simple breakfast option throughout the week. It’s also an excellent way to pack in some protein for the vegetarian keto crowd. I happened to have some beautiful leftover farmer’s market asparagus that worked so well with the extra shallot and some gruyere that I had been slicing up with keto crackers. I used some of the cheese as chunks for the filling of the quiche and the leftover grated right into the crust!
A couple of tricks I’ve learned when making this quiche is always to cool the dough. Once you’ve mixed the butter and egg, it’s easier to work with the mixture after it’s had a chance to chill in the refrigerator. If not, the fats melt with the heat from your hands, and you’ll have a harder time pressing it into the pie pan. It’s also helpful to sauté the veggies before you add them to the quiche. A sturdy vegetable like asparagus or broccoli may not get tender enough in the oven, and then you end up with tough veggies or a burnt crust!
I can’t wait to experiment with more varieties of cheese, and my next farmer’s market veggie find!
Yields 6 servings of Asparagus and Gruyere Keto Quiche
For the Crust
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg white
For the Filling
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces gruyere, cubed
- 1 medium shallot
- 10 medium asparagus stalks
1. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, and shredded cheese in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
2. Incorporate the butter into the flour mixture using a fork or pastry cutter.
3. Add the egg white to the mixture, reserving the yolk for the filling, and mix to form one large dough ball. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
4. Preheat your oven to 350F. Press the chilled dough into a pie pan, going to the outer edge and up the sides. This part doesn’t have to be perfect.
5. Bake the crust for 10 minutes at 350F. Set aside to cool.
6. Create the filling by whisking the eggs and the remaining egg yolk with heavy cream and salt.
7. Sautee the asparagus and sliced shallot just until the onion is translucent and the asparagus begins to soften.
8. Place the cubed gruyere in the bottom of the cooled quiche crust.
9. Top the cheese with the onion and asparagus.
10. Pour the egg mixture into the quiche crust and bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes or until it is completely set and slightly browning. Slice and serve!
This makes a total of 6 servings of Asparagus and Gruyere Keto Quiche. Each serving comes out to be 520 Calories, 46.39g Fat, 4.82g Net Carbs, and 21.17g Protein.
|Asparagus and Gruyere Keto Quiche||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup almond flour||640||56||24||12||12||24|
|2 tablespoons coconut flour||50||3||8||6||2||2|
|1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum||0||0||1||1||0||0|
|1/2 cup grated gruyere||223||17.46||0.19||0||0.19||16.1|
|1/4 cup butter||407||46.03||0.03||0||0.03||0.48|
|5 large eggs||358||23.77||1.8||0||1.8||31.4|
|8 ounces heavy cream||811||86.01||6.77||0||6.77||6.77|
|5 ounces gruyere, cubed||585||45.84||0.51||0||0.51||42.26|
|2 tablespoons minced shallot||14||0.02||3.36||0.6||2.76||0.5|
|10 medium asparagus spear||32||0.19||6.21||3.4||2.81||3.52|