Happy Valentines Day to all my ketogenic friends out there! So, I know you’ve probably not made anything for your significant other, and now you’re scratching your head on what epic treat to make. Well, nobody wants roses anymore – it’s too easy, so put some work into it and give him/her something they’ll really like! Keto-approved, of course.
These almond lemon cakes are superb. I had some icing left from the Red Velvet Fried Donuts yesterday and decided to use it. Actually, they inspired me for most of this recipe. The frying, the lemon, and..well the icing is a given. But truly, they’re great and they’ll make a great Valentines Day gift!
The frying part isn’t necessary, so I left the extra butter out of the macros. It IS recommended, however, as it adds a great crispy and crunchy texture to the outside of the cakes. Taking a nice bite of one of these cakes with a few pistachios inside will give you a fantastic texture.
So, go and do what you gotta do! Enjoy your V-day with your significant other and stay keto friendly 🙂 Let me know what you ate for keto V-day in the comments below!
Yields 10 Almond Lemon Sandwich Cakes
Almond Lemon Cakes
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup erythritol
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- ¼ cup powdered erythritol
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
1. Preheat your oven to 335°F.
2. Put a sifter on top of a large mixing bowl. Add 1/4 Cup Honeyville Almond Flour, 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour, 1 tsp. Cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. Salt and 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda.
3. Sift the dry ingredients until everything is fine and powdery.
4. In a mixing bowl, crack 3 Large Eggs, then add 1/4 Cup Erythritol, 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice, 1 Tbsp. Coconut Milk, 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract, 1/2 tsp. Almond Extract, 1/4 tsp. Liquid Stevia, and 1/4 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar.
5. Microwave 1/4 Cup Butter for about 30 seconds.
6. Add butter to the wet ingredients and add food coloring.
7. Stir the ingredients well, making sure that the eggs are thoroughly broken.
8. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a hand mixer. Do this until you end with a fluffy looking batter.
9. Divide your batter between a muffin top pan (should make 10). Spread the mixture in each muffin top mold.
10. Bake for 17-18 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out dry. You just want to have a slight browning around the edges.
11. Remove from the muffin top pan and let cool on a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
12. Slice the cakes in half using a bread knife, then bring 2-3 Tbsp. Butter to a boil in a pan.
13. Add your muffin tops and fry on each side for about 1-2 minutes. You want to get these browned.
14. Let the muffin tops cool while you make the icing.
15. In a mixing bowl, combine butter and cream cheese at room temperature.
16. Powder 1/4 Cup Erythritol in a spice grinder.
17. Cream your butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
18. Add 2 Tbsp. Heavy Cream to the Icing and continue mixing until smooth again.
19. Add Powdered Erythritol and Red Food Coloring and continue mixing. Continue adding food coloring until desired color is achieved.
20. Spread icing between 2 pieces of almond lemon cake like a sandwich. Garnish with lemon zest and pistachios.
Per cake (with icing) it will be 179.1 Calories, 17.52g Fats, 1.69g Net Carbs, and 3.72g Protein.
|Almond Lemon Sandwich Cakes||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|¼ cup almond flour||160||14||6||3||3||6|
|¼ cup coconut flour||75||4.5||12||9||3||3|
|¼ cup + 4 tbsp. Butter||814||92.1||0.06||0||0.06||0.96|
|3 large eggs||214||14.27||1.08||0||1.08||18.84|
|½ cup erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice||3||0.04||1.01||0||1.01||0.05|
|1 tablespoon coconut milk||7||0.42||0.6||0.2||0.4||0.42|
|1 teaspoon cinnamon||6||0.03||2.1||1.4||0.7||0.1|
|½ teaspoon almond extract||6||0||0.27||0||0.27||0|
|½ teaspoon vanilla extract||6||0||0.27||0||0.27||0|
|½ teaspoon baking soda||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar||1||0||0.02||0||0.02||0|
|¼ teaspoon liquid Stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|4 ounces cream cheese||397||39.05||6.26||0||6.26||6.97|
|2 tablespoons heavy cream||102||10.82||0.82||0||0.82||0.85|