Breakfast can be one of the hardest meals to plan when you are following a keto diet as a vegan. Though sweet breakfasts like vegan pancakes or keto protein smoothies can be a great option, sometimes you might crave a savory traditional breakfast like scrambled eggs. With a little creative cooking and a few seasonings, you can whip up a tasty, vegan version of scrambled eggs in a matter of minutes!
The base of this recipe uses firm tofu seasoned with nutritional yeast for a “cheese-like” flavor and a bit of turmeric to add not only flavor but a beautiful yellow color. The tofu is broken into crumbled and sautéed with diced onion, spinach, and a handful of Follow Your Heart Vegan Cheddar Cheese for an added creamy cheesy texture!
Each serving is approximately 4 oz but will vary due to the amount of liquid you cook out. This simple tofu scramble pairs perfectly with fresh avocado slices or piled onto a low carb tortilla for an on the go breakfast wrap!
Yields 5 servings of Vegan Keto Scramble
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 grape tomatoes
- 3 ounces vegan cheddar cheese
1. Wrap your block of tofu in a few layers of paper towel, or a clean cloth towel, and gently squeeze some of the water out. Set aside.
2. In a skillet on medium heat, sauté the chopped onion in 1/3 of the avocado oil until the onion is soft and translucent.
3. Place the block of tofu in the skillet and crumble using a potato masher or fork until it’s the consistency of scrambled egg.
4. Drizzle with the rest of the oil and sprinkle with the dry seasoning then gently stir to coat.
5. Cook the tofu over medium heat, stirring and folding occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated.
6. Fold in the baby spinach, diced tomato, and cheese and cook for an additional minute or until the spinach wilts and the cheese is melted.
7. Serve hot and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days!
This makes a total of 5 servings of Vegan Keto Scramble. Each serving comes out to be 211.4 Calories, 17.56g Fat, 4.74g Net Carbs, and 10.09g Protein.
|Vegan Keto Scramble||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 package firm tofu||378||23.93||5.37||4.5||0.87||45.41|
|3 tbsp Avocado Oil||371||42||0||0||0||0|
|2 tbsp Yellow Onion, diced||12||0.03||2.8||0.5||2.3||0.33|
|1 1/2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast||30||0||3||1||2||3|
|1/2 tsp Garlic Powder||5||0.1||1.13||0.1||1.03||0.26|
|1/2 tsp Turmeric||5||0.5||1.01||0.3||0.71||0.15|
|1/2 tsp Salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 cup Baby Spinach||7||0.12||1.09||0.7||0.39||0.86|
|3 Grape Tomatoes||9||0.1||1.98||0.6||1.38||0.45|
|3 oz Vegan Cheddar Cheese||240||21||18||3||15||0|
|Per Servings (/5)||211.4||17.56||6.88||2.14||4.74||10.09|