These gooey keto cinnamon rolls are fluffy, packed with cinnamon, and dripping with icing – just like the real thing! These are a true yeast roll, made with almond flour, whey protein, and erythritol. Now, I know some of you will have some difficulty with the fact that a tablespoon of real maple syrup is used in this recipe – but rest assured that the sugar is devoured by the yeast. That reaction is necessary to give the bread its rise, and thankfully because of the yeast that means there is no sugar left in the final product.
Yields 9 servings of Gooey Keto Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 6 tablespoons ground golden flaxseed
- 5 tablespoons whey protein isolate
- 4-6 tablespoons erythritol
- 2 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted melted butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons erythritol
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3-6 tablespoons powdered erythritol
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- Heavy cream, as needed
1. Line a pan with parchment paper. Place a large sheet of cling film on your workspace, and set out a bowl with water to wet your fingers with. Add a bit of oil to the water. Mix the sour cream, warm water, active dry yeast, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Cover with a towel and allow this to rest for 7-10 minutes. If the mixture is bubbling you’re good to go, but if it’s not the yeast is not active and you need to start again.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, whey protein powder, sweetener, xanthan gum, baking powder, ginger, and salt.
3. Add the eggs, cooled melted butter, and apple cider vinegar to the yeast mixture. Beat with an electric mixture for about a minute or so, then add in the flour. Mix until it forms a sticky dough. Wet a spatula and use this to form the dough into a ball.
4. Divide the dough into 3 parts. Spread a little oil on the cling film then add 1 part of the dough. Wet your fingers and spread it into a rectangle. Brush with melted butter then sprinkle the cinnamon and erythritol to taste. Leave a 1-inch strip at the top so that you can seal your roll.
5. Use the cling film to help you roll up the dough towards the empty edge. Seal the edge, then use a sharp knife to cut it into 3 rolls. Wet the blade of the knife to help you cut. Lightly flatten the rolls with the palm of your hand then transfer to the parchment paper. Repeat this step with the other two parts of the dough.
6. Cover the pan with a kitchen towel, then allow to rise for about an hour. It should double in size. If your kitchen is not warm enough then this may take additional time. If it’s too warm then it may take less time, so keep an eye on it. so.
7. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cream together all of the glaze ingredients, adjust the thickness with heavy cream if necessary.
8. Bake until they are a deep golden color. It will take about 20-25 minutes, but remove the tray from the oven about 10 minutes in and cover with tented foil. This will prevent them from browning too much.
9. Glaze the rolls right when they come out of the oven. If you plan on eating these at a different time then save the glaze for later. They may deflate as they cool. Store in an airtight container, warm to serve.
This makes a total of 9 servings of Gooey Keto Cinnamon Rolls. Each serving comes out to be 386.73 Calories, 31.55g Fats, 6.82g Net Carbs, and 16.62g Protein.
|Gooey Keto Cinnamon Rolls||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1/4 cup sour cream||114||11||2.7||0||2.7||1.4|
|1 tablespoon maple syrup||52||0||13||0||13||0|
|1 tablespoon active dry yeast||39||0.9||4.9||3.2||1.7||4.9|
|1/4 teaspoon ground ginger||1.5||0||0.3||0.1||0.2||0|
|2 1/4 cups almond flour||1458||126||54||31.5||22.5||54|
|6 tablespoons golden flaxseed||208.5||16.5||11.5||10.5||1||7|
|5 tablespoons whey protein isolate||297||1.37||2.43||0||2.43||57.5|
|18 tablespoons erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 1/4 teaspoons xanthan gum||23||0||5.5||0||5.5||0|
|2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder||5.5||0||2.9||0||2.9||0|
|3 large eggs||215||14||1.1||0||1.1||19|
|7 1/2 tablespoons butter||765||90||0.1||0||0.1||0.9|
|1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar||7.1||0||1.8||0||1.8||0|
|2 tablespoons ground cinnamon||39||0.2||13||8.3||4.7||0.6|
|1/3 cup cream cheese||244||24||3.8||2.6||1.2||4.3|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||12||0||0.5||0||0.5||0|
Recipe inspired by “Properly Fluffy ‘N Gooey Cinnamon Rolls” at www.gnom-gnom.com