Ah, cauliflower! So versatile in the keto world. Just one simple technique can get it into the consistency of rice. Don’t worry, this spicy cauliflower rice isn’t too spicy! It packs a little heat, but also a punch of sesame and soy.
This recipe is very simple and quick to cook, but there is some prep time involved. Mainly – processing the cauliflower into rice. There are a few ways to do that. One way is to chop up the florets and throw them into a food processor. Or, you can do the same with a blender. If you do use a blender, it’s wise to only do it little-by-little. If you throw too much into the blender then it won’t shred and you will end up with big chunks.
This spicy fried “rice” calls for shichimi togarashi (also known as Japanese 7-spice). If you don’t have or can’t find this ingredient, then you can substitute with red pepper flakes.
Yields 6 servings of Spicy Cauliflower Rice & Salmon Medley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (4-oz) fillets salmon, cubed into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small (50 g) carrot, chopped
- 1 medium (119 g) orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (20 g) shallot, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Japanese 7-spice (shachimi togarashi)
- 1 medium (588 g) cauliflower, riced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium sized stock-pot, pre-heat your olive oil on medium heat. Saute the salmon cubes for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until they have gone from pink to white.
2. Add in the carrot, peppers, and shallots. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil, making sure you coat all the vegetables and fish. Season the veggies with the 7-spice powder then stir and let the fish soak up the soy and sesame for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the cauliflower rice and mix in with a wooden spoon.
5. Turn your stove up to medium-high to fry the cauliflower. Stir occasionally.
6. Taste! Use a little more spice if needed , then season with salt and pepper.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Spicy Cauliflower Rice & Salmon Medley. Each serving comes out to be 232.83 Calories, 14.21g Fats, 5.05g Net Carbs, and 17.38g Protein.
|Spicy Fried Cauliflower Rice||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||239||27||0||0||0||0|
|4 (4-oz) fillets salmon||644||28.74||0||0||0||89.94|
|1 small (50 g ) carrot||20||0.12||4.79||1.4||3.39||0.47|
|1 medium ( 119 g ) orange bell pepper||51||0.49||9.89||3.4||6.49||1.62|
|2 tablespoons shallot (20 g) diced finely||14||0.02||3.36||0.6||2.76||0.5|
|4 tablespoons soy sauce||34||0.03||0.26||0||0.26||0.43|
|2 tablespoons sesame oil||240||27.2||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons Japanese 7-spice||8||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 medium (588 g) cauliflower||147||1.65||29.22||11.8||17.42||11.29|
|Salt and pepper to taste||0||0||0||0||0||0|