A quick and simple snack that can easily be altered and turned into dinner. I wanted to put together a quick recipe today that can be used in a pinch of when you’re out of time or have no time to spare. This fast, easy, and delicious caprese salad is exactly what you want in a meal – packed with flavor, fats, and protein to fill you up and make you happy while only taking 5 minutes to prep for.
Sorry I don’t have the step by step pictures, but the instructions should be quite self explanatory. This is a VERY easy meal to put together and can be done in just under 5 minutes if you don’t do the balsamic reduction. Balsamic reductions are quite concentrated in carbs, so if you do end up using it, use a VERY small amount. I used a squrt bottle to put mine over the caprese salad, and it measured out to be just over 1 tsp. worth of the reduction.
The basil paste works wonderfully with this, bringing in the extra moisture from the olive oil and combining it with the fresh and full taste of the basil. Classically paired with the tomato and mozarella, this is a simple but packed-full-of-flavor meal.
Yields 2 servings of Caprese Salad
- 1 large tomato
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a food processor, pulse chopped fresh basil leaves with 2 tbsp. Olive Oil to make the Basil Paste.
2. Slice tomato into 1/4″ slices. You should be able to get at least 6 slices from the tomato.
3. Cut Mozzarella into 1 oz. Slices.
4. Assemble caprese salad by layering tomato, mozzarella, and basil paste.
5. Season with salt, pepper, and extra olive oil. Optional: Reduce balsamic vinegar for balsamic reduction (be careful of carb count).
This will make 2 servings total. Each serving has 451 Calories, 39.46g Fats, 4.34g Net Carbs, and 19.75g Protein.
|Caprese Salad||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 large tomato||33||0.36||7.08||2.2||4.88||1.6|
|6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese||510||38.02||3.73||0||3.73||37.71|
|¼ cup fresh basil, chopped||1||0.04||0.16||0.1||0.06||0.19|
|3 tablespoons olive oil||358||40.5||0||0||0||0|