I know you all want something that’s crusty on the outside, and delightfully soft on the inside. This savory breakfast pie has all of that, and then some. Sausage and cheese flows throughout the pie to bring a great sense of taste and texture between each bite. The top is crusted so you get just enough crunch to keep you coming back for more.
Rosemary and lemon are two of my favorite combinations in savory cooking, and I certainly don’t eat it enough. Though the sausage was a Bacon and Cheddar Chicken sausage, I thought it played very well with the slight and subtle cues of lemon juice and the aromatic taste of rosemary.
Though this does make 2 pies, they are extremely filling (and rightly so, being 711 calories each) – so if you’re looking for a smaller breakfast, just cut this in half and have half of an entire portion. They’re really fantastic – reminds me of meat pies that I used to have as a kid.
Yields 2 Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Pies
- 1 ½ large bacon and cheddar chicken sausages
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (or water)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F, then cut 1 ½ chicken and bacon sausage into cubes. I am using a brand called Artisan Fresh.
2. Separate 5 egg yolks from the whites, then discard of the whites. If you don’t want to discard of the whites, save them and make some Peanut Butter Meringue Cookies.
3. Add the sausages to a pan on medium high heat. Cook them until they are browned well, then set aside.
4. Measure out the dry ingredients into a bowl. 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour, 1/2 tsp. Rosemary, 1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda, and 1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt.
5. Grate enough Cheddar Cheese for 3/4 Cup. If you don’t want that much cheese, only grate about 1/4 – 1/2 Cup.
6. Beat the egg yolks into a creamy consistency. This will take about 4-5 minutes. I use only 1 whisk attachment on my hand mixer because there is not that much liquid.
7. Add 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil, 2 Tbsp. Coconut Milk, and 2 tsp. Lemon Juice to egg mixture and beat again until smooth and creamy.
8. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients slowly. Once finished, fold 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese into the batter.
9. Measure out the batter into 2 ramekins. You want to fill the ramekins about 3/4 of the way full so there is room for the sausage.
10. Poke the sausages into the batter. Using your finger, you can submerge pieces of sausage evenly around all of the batter (pushing some to the bottom and leaving some on top).
11. Bake the pie for 20-25 minutes. OPTIONAL: Once finished, top with cheddar cheese and broil for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Per pie, it is 900 Calories, 77.6g Fats, 6.86g Net Carbs, and 41.93g Protein. So, if you’re looking for a light breakfast, turn this into 2 servings. They’re extremely filling and I couldn’t finish a whole one myself.
|Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Pies||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ½ large bacon and cheddar chicken sausages||270||16.5||3||1.5||1.5||28.5|
|¾ cup (169.5 g) grated cheddar cheese||685||56.46||5.24||0||5.24||38.76|
|¼ cup coconut flour||75||4.5||12||9||3||3|
|¼ cup coconut oil||486||53.99||0||0||0||0|
|2 tablespoons coconut milk||5||1||0||0||0||0|
|5 large egg yolks||274||22.56||3.05||0||3.05||13.48|
|2 teaspoons lemon juice||2||0.02||0.69||0||0.69||0.04|
|½ teaspoon rosemary||2||0.09||0.38||0.3||0.08||0.03|
|¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper||1||0.08||0.25||0.1||0.15||0.05|
|¼ teaspoon baking soda||0||0||0||0||0||0|