Pancakes are glorious at any time of the day, but unfortunately it’s a real challenge to find a version suitable for the keto diet. Every now and again I look through recipes to find some staples that I thought I’d never enjoy again. Time and time again these low carb substitutes come out nothing like what I had anticipated – but this pancake recipe brought some new light into my life.
I was actually looking for a cornbread recipe and stumbled upon an almond flour cornbread that I thought was worth a try. Not only does it keep you from eating the sugary corn flour, but it is also high in protein and vitamin E. Of course it can get better than this though, almond flour promotes HDL cholesterol (the good kind)!
I ended up making the cornbread and being disappointed with it as it was pretty flat, gravity really didn’t treat this thing well. I decided that this recipe would be perfect to adapt to pancakes, so I started experimenting away. Low and behold, here’s a great pancake recipe that I’m certain you’ll enjoy!
Trust me on this one – it’s fall season of the year, and this will be a treat to anyone – keto dieters or not.
Yields 8 Low Carb Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Mix the eggs, pumpkin puree, sour cream and butter together.
2. Mix the almond meal, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder and salt together.
3. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients to get a smooth consistency. There will be some clumps in there, but don’t worry yourself too much about these.
4. Put a pan on medium heat. Use some butter to grease the pan. Then, pour pancake batter into the pan and cook until bubbles appear on the top.
5. Flip pancakes and cook on the other side until browned. Remove from the pan and serve warm.
This makes a total of 8 Low Carb Pumpkin Pancakes. Each pancake come out to be 141.18 Calories, 12.59g Fats, 3.53g Net Carbs, and 5g Protein.
|Low Carb Pumpkin Pancakes||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 cup almond meal||640||56||24||12||12||24|
|2 large eggs||143||9.51||0.72||0||0.72||12.56|
|¼ cup pumpkin puree||20||0||5||2||3||0.5|
|¼ cup sour cream||114||11.13||2.66||0||2.66||1.4|
|2 tablespoons butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice||6.42||1.06||18.55||10||8.65||1.32|
|1 teaspoon baking powder||2||0||1.27||0||1.27||0|