With the weather cooling down, soup season has definitely arrived. And…we’re going to take full advantage of that! During the warmer summer days, making a hot soup is one of the last things that you may want to do, but we have glimpses of the delightful stuff every now and again. This one has been on my list for quite some time now!
The whole idea of this was to bring the flavor of a buffalo chicken wing into a soup. Don’t get me wrong – this doesn’t taste like liquefied buffalo chicken wings; the flavors really bring out a unique flavor that you probably haven’t had in a soup before. So, instead of polishing off a plate of protein-heavy buffalo wings, you can grab a bowl of this and be happy.
Instead of using a real mirepoix, we use powders and seeds to help keep the carbs down. We use cream and cream cheese to really bring the thickness of the soup out. Instead of the traditional flours, we use just a tiny bit of xanthan gum to pull everything together and give the rich and hearty soup something to stand on its own with.
Of course you all know, buffalo wings usually come with a healthy serving of bleu cheese – so you can do the same with the soup! Serve with bleu cheese, goats cheese, or a little bit of feta cheese. Anything that gives a tangy taste with a melty texture. Throw some spring onions on top and now you have dinner!
Yields 5 servings of Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 3 medium Chicken Thighs, deboned and sliced (~1.2 lbs without bones)
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Celery Seed
- ¼ cup Butter
- 1/3 – ½ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 ounces Cream Cheese
- ¼ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- Salt and pepper to Taste
1. De-bone the chicken thighs (I find scissors are the easiest to do this with). Cut or slice the chicken into chunks and drop them in the crockpot.
2. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot except for cream, cheese, and xanthan gum. Set crockpot on low for 6 hours (or high for 3 hours) and let cook completely.
3. Once everything is cooked, remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred using a fork.
4. Add cream, cheese, and xanthan gum to the crockpot. Using an immersion blender, emulsify all of the liquids together. This will help the soup from separating while you are eating.
5. Place the chicken back into the crockpot and stir together. Taste and season with extra salt, pepper, and hot sauce if you’d like.
6. Serve up and enjoy!
This makes 5 total servings of Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Soup. Each serving comes out to be 523 Calories, 44.2g Fats, 3.4g Net Carbs, and 20.8g Protein.
|Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Soup||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|3 medium Chicken Thighs||1148||83||0||0||0||94|
|1 tsp. Onion Powder||8||0||2||0||2||0|
|1 tsp. Garlic Powder||8||0||2||0||2||0|
|1/2 tsp. Celery Seed||4||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 cup Butter||400||44||0||0||0||0|
|1/3 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce||40||0||0||0||0||0|
|3 cups Beef Broth||45||0||3||0||3||6|
|1 cup Heavy Cream||800||80||6||0||6||0|
|2 oz. Cream Cheese||160||14||4||0||4||4|
|1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Salt and Pepper to Taste||3||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /5 )||523.2||44.2||3.4||0||3.4||20.8|