Egg rolls are delicious. They’re crispy, packed full of flavor, and easy to eat, but they are far from being keto-friendly. At first, I thought it would be impossible to emulate an egg roll on keto.
However, when I took the first bite of this egg roll in a bowl (AKA crack slaw), I forgot all about the wrapper. Now, whenever the craving hits, I know I can whip up a keto egg roll in a bowl in half the time it takes to get takeout.
Are Egg Rolls Keto?
Egg rolls are not keto-friendly. They typically have a high-carb wrapper and are served with a sugary dipping sauce.
The egg roll filling, however, can easily be made into a quick and delicious keto crack slaw. With keto egg roll in a bowl, you won’t have to work with finicky flours or uncommon additives — just cook up your ingredients step by step for a 15-minute keto dinner.
What is a Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl Crack Slaw?
If you haven’t heard of crack slaw or egg roll in a bowl before, it is simply a type of stir fry that features ground pork (or beef) and cabbage.
The cabbage will be chopped up like you are preparing it for low-carb coleslaw. However, instead of dressing it, you’ll stir-fry the slaw with meat, herbs, spices, and sauces for a delicious keto-friendly, Chinese-inspired meal.
How to Make the Best Keto Egg Roll In a Bowl
Try implementing a few of these keto cooking tips to make your keto egg roll crack slaw exactly how you like it:
- Get the cabbage and onion pieces right — Make sure they are thinly sliced into long strands. Having pieces of unequal width and length can throw off the texture and flavor of your dish. Try using a spiralizer to cut the vegetables for the best results.
- Cut the prep time with pre-cut veggies — To keep your prep to a minimum, buy pre-shredded green cabbage.
- Consider the quality of your meat — Higher fat and higher quality meat will add much more flavor to your meal. Pasture-raised pork with a higher percentage of fat is the way to go for keto egg roll in a bowl.
- Use high-heat for brown meat — Browning the meat will unlock another level of flavor and texture. If you add the other ingredients too soon, the crack slaw will not be all it’s cracked it up to be.
- Opt for fresh garlic and ginger — For best flavor, we recommend using fresh garlic and fresh ginger (just don’t let them burn as you’re cooking). However, If all you have is garlic and ginger powder, these will work as well.
- Make it spicy — Spice things up with some sugar-free hot sauce or sriracha. This can be added to the pan along with the cabbage or used as a garnish.
- Don’t forget the garnish — Try topping with chopped green onion, drizzling with toasted sesame oil, and sprinkling with salt to enhance the flavor.
Can You Make Keto Crack Slaw Ahead?
Your keto egg roll in a bowl is the perfect keto meal to make ahead since it can easily be re-heated. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good the leftovers are.
To store your crack slaw leftovers, put them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can I Make Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl with Ground Beef, Shrimp, or Chicken Instead?
Ground beef, chicken, shrimp, and most other meat/seafood will work well with this keto crack slaw recipe.
However, if you are looking to emulate the texture and flavor of egg roll filling, I recommend sticking with ground pork or beef.
To help satisfy your other chinese takeout cravings on keto, try making the following keto-friendly recipes as well:
- Low Carb Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Keto Crispy Sesame Beef
- Keto Beef and Broccoli
- Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Keto General Tso Chicken
Yields 4 servings of Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl (AKA Crack Slaw)
- 16 ounce ground pork
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, or liquid aminos
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 24 ounce green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks green onion
*Note: If you don’t want a strong sesame taste, you can replace 2 teaspoons of sesame oil with avocado oil.
1. Gather and prep all ingredients. Make sure to slice the cabbage and onion very thin as it will cook more evenly and give a better overall texture in the final dish.
2. In a pan over medium to medium-high heat, saute the ground pork in half of the avocado oil until cooked through and browned well.
3. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic, ground ginger, and onion, then cook for a few minutes more until the onions are translucent.
4. Finally, add the cabbage, white wine vinegar, and remaining avocado oil into the pan. Continue cooking until the cabbage is tender, stirring frequently to incorporate the flavors of the pork into the cabbage.
5. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Slice green onion and serve over the top!
Makes a total of 4 servings of Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl/Crack Slaw. Each serving comes out to be 462 calories, 34.3g fat, 8.8g net carbs, and 32.9g protein.
|16 ounce ground pork||1346||94||0||0||0||116|
|2 tablespoon avocado oil||142||28||0||0||0||0|
|1 tablespoon sesame oil||120||14||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 cup soy sauce||34||0.4||3.1||0.5||2.6||5.2|
|2 clove garlic||8.9||0||2||0.1||1.9||0.4|
|1 teaspoon ground ginger||5.9||0.1||1.3||0.3||1||0.2|
|1/2 medium onion||21||0.1||4.8||0.7||4.1||0.6|
|24 ounce green cabbage||156||0.4||37||13||24||8.6|
|1 tablespoon white wine vinegar||2.7||0||0||0||0||0|
|salt and pepper to taste||1.6||0||0.4||0.2||0.2||0.1|
|2 stalks green onion||9.6||0.1||2.2||0.8||1.4||0.6|
|Per Serving (/4)||461.9||34.3||12.7||3.9||8.8||32.9|