This keto Mississippi roast can be shoved in your slow cooker early in the day for a hands free but tasty dinner. The shredded beef is punched up with peppery flavors and peperoncinis that almost melt into the meat.
There are a number of recipes for this roast style on the internet, but I created this version to not use any spice packages. You can use ingredients that you probably have in your pantry already. I also like to use the sliced peppers instead of the whole peppers. Family members who do not even like peperoncinis eat this without complaint!
I used Better Than Bouillon in this recipe, but feel free to use any bouillon or base that you prefer. Powdered works just fine! This recipe is not super finicky, so don’t worry about screwing it up if you’d like to make substitutions to suit your own tastes.
This would be great served with some mashed cauliflower, spread on top of a low carb pizza, tucked into an omelet, or even sandwiched into a quesadilla. I’ve calculated this at 8 servings, but I usually get a lot more out of a roast if using the leftovers this way. In the pictures I served this up with some broccoli mash and a slice of keto bread.
Yields 8 servings of Keto Mississippi Roast
- 3.8lb beef chuck roast
- 16 oz jar deli-sliced peperoncinis, drained with brine reserved
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons better than bouillon
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
1. Place the chuck roast into your slow cooker. Turn the cooker onto high.
2. Add the peperoncinis on top of the roast. Pour about a cup of the reserved brine into the slow cooker then discard the rest.
3. Add the parsley, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, dried dill, salt, and black pepper to the slow cooker.
4. Add the Better than Bouillon paste. I like to mix everything together a little at this stage, but it’s not really necessary.
5. Place the stick of butter on top of the roast. Cover the slow cooker with a lid and then allow to cook on high for 8-10 hours.
6. Once the beef has cooked to the point of falling apart then you can shred the roast up with a fork. Serve directly out of the slow cooker, or remove from the juices and store for another use.
This makes a total of 8 servings of Keto Mississippi Roast. Each serving comes out to be 435.22 calories, 31.64g Fats, 3.13g Net Carbs, and 33.21g Protein.
|Keto Mississippi Roast||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|3.80 lb(s), boneless beef chuck roast||2444.16||158.09||0||0||0||255.36|
|16 oz jar deli-sliced golden greek peperoncini||70||0||7||0||7||0|
|1 tablespoon dried parsley||3.8||0.07||0.66||0.35||0.31||0.35|
|1 tablespoon dried chives||0.62||0.01||0.13||0.05||0.08||0.04|
|1 tablespoon garlic powder||27.8||0.06||6.11||0.76||5.35||1.39|
|1 tablespoon onion powder||23.53||0.07||5.46||1.05||4.41||0.72|
|1 tablespoon dried dill||7.84||0.14||1.73||0.42||1.31||0.62|
|½ teaspoon salt||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|¼ teaspoon black pepper||4||0||1||0.5||0.5||0.25|
|2 tablespoons better than bouillon||90||3||12||6||6||6|
|½ cup (1 stick) butter||810||91.65||0.07||0||0.07||0.96|