No matter what diet I tried or how much exercise I did, I didn’t seem to lose weight. I could lose a pound or two with excessive dieting and training, but as soon as I slowed down I would gain it back plus interest. I started keto with mild hopes for dropping a few pounds and trying to “reset” my metabolism.
I followed the plan, stayed within my macros, and had zero cheat days for three months. I went from 194 to 164, and managed to keep it all off through the holiday season and still today.
I lost several inches of waistline, and can honestly say the worst part of keto was having to buy all new work clothes. My coworkers noticed the difference, and three of them are all trying the diet since the new year.
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
I had a lot of support from my wife. She helped me with the grocery shopping for all my specialized food requirements. I also cleared out a drawer and a shelf in the fridge for only food that was ok for me to eat. I would pick out 3-4 dinner/lunches from the recipe book and come up with a breakfast plan for the week, and then go get the necessary ingredients for all that food. Keeping myself to a specific planned list of meals helped keep cheating out of bounds. I would also track all meals with a calorie/macro tracking app which helped me gain knowledge of what was in different kinds of food.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
Meal planning and carb/sugar awareness. I have transitioned back to a “normal” diet after 90 days on keto, but I check labels and am aware of how much sugar and carbs I eat in a day.
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Plan your meals in advance and use a meal tracking app. Doing these things will help you stay with the plan.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I feel generally like I can do things that I set my mind to. Previously when I had tried diets or workout routines, I wouldn’t see results and I’d get discouraged and quit. This helped show me that if you stick to a plan you will see results.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
Snacking less, and eating less sugary treats.
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
My wife was my main supporter, and I did appreciate comments from friends and family when they said they could notice a difference in my size.
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
I weigh myself daily and found the range of weight and body fat percentage that I can comfortably maintain. I now also have the knowledge that having one bad day won’t hurt, but having stringing them together will
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
I would have started using electrolyte supplements sooner, especially when I would work out. Other than that, everything worked well for me.