Salami, provolone cheese, and tart peppers wrapped up in a cheesy dough – what more could you ask for? This Italian cheesy bread bake is a cinch to make and perfect to serve for lunch with a spinach salad. It’s very filling, and is great to pack for lunches too.
Most cheese based doughs are made with mozzarella and almond flour. This time were making it with Monterey jack cheese, coconut flour, and some flax seed meal. If you like the almond flour version better you can of course make this using the dough recipe from the Ham and Cheese Keto Stromboli. What I like about doing it this way is that it keeps the calories and net carbs reasonably low.
To keep things simply we microwaved the cheese to melt it but if you prefer you can also try the double-boiler method (as demonstrated in the Ultimate Cheeseburger Loaf recipe) or the stovetop method (as demonstrated in the Feta and Bacon Bites recipe.)
Yields 4 servings of Italian Cheesy Bread Bake
- 1 ¼ cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 small slices Italian dry salami
- 4 small slices provolone cheese
- 1 ounce fresh spinach leaves
- ¼ cup deli sliced mild pepper rings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large egg yolk
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F. Combine the coconut flour, flax seed meal, and seasoning together in a small bowl. In a larger mixing bowl, melt the Monterey jack cheese in a microwave for about a minute or until the shreds are fully melted together.
2. Let the melted cheese stand for about a minute then add the whole egg. Combine the egg and cheese together.
3. Add the dry mix to the cheese and mix together until the cheese takes up all of the flours.
4. Spread out a piece of parchment paper then turn the cheese dough out on top of it. Place another sheet of paper on top then use a rolling pin to spread out. You want it to be longer on one side, and wide enough for the fillings and the braid on the other.
5. Lay out the salami and cheese.
6. Tear up the spinach leaves then set those on top. Spread out the mild pepper rings, then drizzle the teaspoon of olive oil on top.
7. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the sides of the dough into diagonal strips. Fold up the ends of the dough, then braid the strips over the top.
8. Whisk up an egg yolk then brush it across the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the braid is golden brown.
9. Slice into 4 pieces and enjoy.
This makes a total of 4 servings of Italian Cheesy Bread Bake. Each serving comes out to be 277 Calories, 21.7g Fats, 2.59g Net Carbs, and 16.5g Protein.
|Italian Cheesy Bread Bake||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1.25 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese||529||42.92||0.96||0||0.96||34.7|
|4 tbsp coconut flour||100||6||16||12||4||4|
|3 tbsp flax seed meal||105||9||6||6||0||4.5|
|1 large (50 g) egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|1 tsp Italian seasoning||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|28 g Italian dry salami||100||8||1||0||1||7|
|28 g provolone cheese||90||7||1||0||1||6|
|1 oz fresh spinach||7||0.11||1.03||0.6||0.43||0.81|
|¼ cup deli sliced mild pepper rings||10||0||2||0||2||0|
|1 teaspoon olive oil||40||4.5||0||0||0||0|
|1 large (17 g) egg yolk||55||4.51||0.61||0||0.61||2.7|